Possible saltwater coral banded shrimp problem help!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I catch some greenies freeze them and feed them with little pieces. When they thaw I filet them and feed them and fish just the meat. Less waste in the tank wo the skin, scales and bones.or other foods work for them.

The little fish that stay together towards the surface

Well I woke up and found my French angel , clarkki,and puffer dead , could it be from the shrimp missing a big claw an two legs they didn't come off when I caught it

Have your water tested sounds like your tank is still cycling. Takes about 4 to 6 weeks to cycle and add one fish every two weeks. Adding 3 or 4 at once raises the ammonia and the bio load is not established enough to handle such a shock.patience is the key to this hobby hang in there.

You had a puffer with the shrimp? Puffer probably ate his claw...

Definitely sounds like your tank is still cycling

No I had caught the shrimp with out the claw and the shrimps arm is the size of the puffer

You won't have any ammonia spikes and water chemistry will even out.

Sorry I misunderstood lol I just know puffers love inverts a lot. Makes me miss my Toby saddle puffer :(

Have you been testing your water parameters? I'm off the opinion that you are probably having a water chemistry issue (the tank is not completely cycled) as well as some stressed out fish.

Even though the fish you had may have been small, you had two angels which both get pretty large as well as a surgeonfish that gets decent sized and requires a lot of room to swim and be happy. On top of that, a puffer and a clownfish, all in a 30 gallon tank. (Even the 55 won't be big enough for all these guys long term.)

If you don't have liquid test kits, I highly recommend that you invest in some. The API Saltwater Master Test Kit goes for about $32 in an LFS, and about half of that if you mail order.

Your tank starts out as a pretty much sterile environment, and when animals are introduced, they begin to produce waste and there is nothing there that can convert their waste into less toxic compounds. We measure this first as ammonia. A type of bacteria wil eventually begin to grow in the tank which will then convert that into compounds we measure as nitrites, which are still toxic to the animals in the aquarium. Yet another type of bacteria moves in and converts nitrites into nitrates, which are far less toxic than the ammonia or nitrites. If you havde measurable ammonia or nitrites in your tank, the tank is NOT cycled. You will still need to work to keep your nitrates low via water changes or some other nutrient export method.

There are some great articles on this site which can walk you through how to get your tank to cycle without risking any fish. It's boring, but a lot less traumatic and less expensive. The easiest method IMO is in the link below:

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

By the way, all three kits (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) as well as pH are in the API Saltwater Master Test Kit.

We did a 60% water change and checked the parameters and the ammonia was .25 nitrite was 1.0 nitrates were 5.0

And will the c220 marineland filter and a quit flow 50 be enough filtration for the 55 ??

Not familiar with the 220 but you have to keep up with cleaning them and water changes are important. Test kit, water changes and patience you will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom