Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Possible Setup for 20 gal

Kay so I might get a saltwater tank soon. I'm planning to get a 20 gallon tank. I'm gonna buy all my supplies from petsmart cheap... The most important stuff I'm getting from my lfs. Can I have a list of what I need. Also when I pour water in the tank can I then put salt in the tank or does i have to pour in pre saltwater

Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Most times you want to premix you salt with your Rodi water first. That you you can test your salinity prior to adding it the tank. If its off you can fix it prior to adding to your tank

Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffbreedlove View Post
Most times you want to premix you salt with your Rodi water first. That you you can test your salinity prior to adding it the tank. If its off you can fix it prior to adding to your tank
Def. agree with breedlove's statement. Didn't know if you're having a FOWLR or a reef setup so just listed what I could think of:
-Filter (recommend AquaClear)..or sump if you're willing to go advanced, but not needed
-salt (I use red sea coral pro salt, but instant ocean reef crystals or their standard salt works)
-mixing bucket & powerhead for mixing salt
-aragonite based sand (if you want sand sifting gobies and nassarius snails and such, go with a small grain size)
-powerhead (if you want corals, otherwise it's not really needed
- you could have a protein skimmer, but the tank isn't that big so it's not necessary
-LR or base rock (I went with BRS pukani dry rock...could do mostly base rock and LR to seed the dry rock if you want to save on money)
-hydrometer
-TEST KIT! very important, an accurate one is very important if keeping corals, if not an API test kit will do
-Lighting for corals if getting them...PC, T5, T5 HO, MH, LED..all work, but some only grow certain corals

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm gonna fill up my tank with regular saltwater. Then after a week in gonna drain all my water then add in live sand and rock. Is that okay. Also should I add a dead shrimp to the empty saltwater tank

Tags
20 gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com