Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #11

thanks lando

i mean guys im not trying to be rude or uptight but if i need help with the SW #1 i can ask my dad and #2 i can ask you guys

take a look at the getting started sw fourm and look at my topic and it will show the equipment i found
Old 04-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also wouldn't advice more than one anemone in a tank that size. And only after 8mo-1yr once the tank is stable and you've gotten the right lights.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #13

so i cant get one as soon as convert my tank? cause it will be up for 5 months and can i still use my Whipser Power Filter as a filter for a SW tank??? cause if so, then my tank will be fully cycled still....
Old 04-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
When you convert your tank to SW your tank will cycle. A SW tank has different bacteria then FW tank does. You can use the same filter but it wont help make the cycle go faster if thats what you meant.

So that means that you need to wait to get a anemone because you have to let the tank cycle and the anemones need a stable and mature tank
Old 04-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #15

man 8 mo.s
ugh!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definately. Converting over to sw is a misleading term. Everything will need a good cleaning and started over from scratch.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #17

oh now that makes alot more sense

also can i keep my aquarium light and hood fixture or do i have to spend money on the special ones with built in fans for me to be able to keep anemones

i have trouble spelling that word
Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

no offense to be taken but if your dad knows this stuff, wont he help you, also, i woudnt worry about anemones and all that, you should just start by settign up a tank, and all it takes to set up a tank is a filter(id recommend the tetratec 500) it has good bio and good mechanical, and its big and has adjustable water flow and stuff, i have on its good, lighting will be fine with normal flourescents until the day coems when in 8 months or so you decide you want that anemone , then upgrading light will be good idea, you will need a bag of salt, a hydrometer(i recommend the instant ocean hydrometer, all the ones ive used , i work in a fish store ive used a few, have been only .001 point higher then a big glass hydrometer we use, the one i own is the same) maybe a powerhead or 2, get like a 201 or a 301 by aquaclear, they are relatively cheap on ebay, and ive had good luck using them, a heater, i used a won brothers titanium one, and i liked it, and now im currently using a via-aqua titanium heater, and also very good heater, sand or crushed coral, only real signicant difference is in appearance, choose your favorite, rock, base will be fine for a fish only tank, using tufa or bleached corals will be perfectly sufficient for your tank, unless you like liverock, then you can drop the $$ for that, and soem test kits, nitrite , nitrate, ph, ammonia, thermometer, and a way of cycle, i used a hermit crab and fed him monitoring my ammonia and such, once i saw the spike and drop i brought him back to my lfs , we have a rent-a-crab policy, or you cna use a piece of shrimp, it all will take about the same amount of time ,damsles suck, dont cycle with them, and the crab was cool to watch, other than that, you ahve 5-6 weeks to save up more money to buy your fishies once the cycle ends, then a couple months to save for the lights and the anemone, remember
"nothing good ever happens fast in the salt tank"
Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

even low light anemone's are going to need stronger lighting than the standard light fixture - single, normal output fluorescent - can provide.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #20

ok cool! now if only i can find where i put my $100

can i cycle with some clowns?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com