Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2005, 03:31 AM   #1

Possiblilty?

Hey guys, i know im a freshie but wanting to be a fralty(freshie and salty put together) and im pretty sure im getting a 55 gal for my bday which that gonna be FW

and my 29 gal im going to make SW FO tank and i want to know, how much is a skimmer and is it neccessary for me to have a skimmer, and a UV sterilzer? cause i was talking to xahx and he said i could make it a SW FO tank and that way i could save lotsa money

i just want to know what i can do, what i need to do, and what is outta my reach?

i have a $100 spending limit but this is gonna be in 2 months i am planning on and i would really like to know what i need to do asap

these are the things i know about and understand:
Ammonia
Nitrates
Nitrites
pH
Copper
Salinity

these are the things i dont understand and would like explained:
Gravity
Calcium

TIA!!!

*EDIT* i would also appeciate knowing what SW fish would sppreciate living in such a small house
Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Setting up a sw tank with only $100, even if you already have a tank seems almost impossible to me. A skimmer is gonna cost you just about that much alone. Then you should have one or two ph's to move water around, new light bulbs (NO lights will encourage algae), salt, hydrometeor or refractometer, I assume you won't be using any live rock but, just for the record I would add no less than 30lbs. You'll also need new test kits, water mixing ph and container.
Gravity is the thing that keeps your feet planted on earth. lol
Specific gravity is the measure of salinty in your water.
Calcium is only important if you are keeping corals and such. With a FW tank, a good brand of salt should keep your calcium at acceptable levels.
Fish. Hmmm. You could probably fit two or three small nano fish in a 29gal. Maybe a pair of clowns, or a royal gramma, firefish, dottyback. Maybe a dwarf angel for a larger fish.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #3

well can you summarize how much its all gonna cost for the ph the lightbulbs the salt the hydrometeor or refractometer whatever that is

and i want to keep like 4 clownfish (a pink, a false clown, true clown, and a cinnamon clown) and 2 anenomes preferably purple and green colors

would really be greatful for some more help on all these SW terms i need to learn up on

TIA!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Not only will the initial start up costs be substantially more than 100.00, your monthly maintenance costs will not be cheap either. Salt must be purchased for regular water changes, different foods etc. The other thing is you will NOT be able to have what you want to have as far as fish are concerned. The tank is too small to have that many clowns.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #5

can i house 2 clowns and a few gobys?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
can i house 2 clowns and a few gobys?
Yes to the clowns. If you plan on having no liverock in your tank, I would not get any gobies.

Also, I second the comment for getting liverock. If you do things that way, you can cycle your tank with it, and keep your tank clean via means of natural biological filtration. It provides cover for your fish and protection, and allows places for inverts to hide, feed, etc.

Also, no way in heck you can set up a SW tank on a $100 budget, so I would start saving up your allowance now, Rudy.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
well can you summarize how much its all gonna cost for the ph the lightbulbs the salt the hydrometeor or refractometer whatever that is
Well, the two PH's I got were $20 each, so $40 there.
Lighting (which if you want anemones, you will HAVE to get new lighting) was $145 (after shipping and the legs) for my 29 gal tank. It is a 2x 65 watt PC fixture.
For salt, the 50 gallon mix I buy is $13.
A hydrometer is cheap, most places sell them for under $8-10. A refractometer is a electronic hydrometer and is much more accurate when measuring SG. These run more in the $80 range.

So, all in all, about $210 or more, just in those 4 things.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #8

well i want to keep an anemone or 2 in the tank

but can they live off natural sunlight? cause like as know my tank is right infront of a window and i would LOVE to keep anemones without having to but expensive lighting

do i really need a refractometer??? the PH i can get for $14 the mix is about $13 so all in all i summarized everything and it is just barely short of $100 with taxes added on

it came up to $99.95
Old 04-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
but can they live off natural sunlight?
Nope. Sorry.
Quote:
do i really need a refractometer???
Not at all, but you asked what one was, and I told ya.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey rudy, $100 to start is going to be a huge challenge. I would hold off on the anemone for several months (8-12). These animals require a very stable and mature tank. The lighting for these is going to cost you a bit. You could certainly have a pair of clowns and a dwarf angel, or goby or royal gramma as mentioned. I think the best purchase you could make for your self now is a great book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It will really increase your knowladge and help start you off on the right foot. Ou can buy the other hardware a little at a time until you have what you need to start. This is not a fast process and patence in the key. Welcome to the "salty" side of things!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com