Possibly my first SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been searching Craigslist for the right deal. Today, someone e-mailed me that they had a 92g bow (corner, I'm assuming) with stand and 10g sump for $200. I consider that a phenomenal deal. I haven't looked at it yet, but he says it's in good condition, just no where to put it after moving 1 year ago.

However, is that a good tank for a starter SW? I will probably start with a FOWLR and eventually make it a reef tank - funds will only allow me to start it one step at a time. Also space is limited, so > 100g would be difficult to place.

Any thoughts?

He said it was well cleaned before they moved, going to take a look at it in a few days. I can't believe he didn't just post it on craigslist himself, he found a WTB ad I put in on there.

I still haven't had a chance to look at it, but I've been trying to find a pic of the tank that shows dimensions or relative size. All I can find is this Common Aquarium Sizes and Dimensions

I'm assuming that both side panes are 48" long and the height is 24", then is the 34" dimension from the center of the front to the back corner?

I'm gonna have to move my 55 to fit it into my home office, that's the only place I could realistically put it. Ouch!

I've been told before that corner tanks make it hard to fit light fixtures on top. Maybe you should look in to metal halide pendants, or retrofits for that tank. Assuming that you can not find a fixture that fits. Just for future reference when you decide to buy coral and need a light upgrade. ;D

Alright, so I got a look at this tank yesterday. The glass is in great condition, there are a few chips on the back corner, but they're behind the enclosure for the drain (drilled in/out in bottom corner) so it's not under pressure. It's a oak trim tank with some pretty serious scuffs on the top plastic, he said there was probably something sitting on it. It comes with the glass hoods, 2 light fixtures (he said he had no problem growing corals), pine stand, 20g sump, 10g extra tank, RO/DI system, 25ft python, heaters, sump return pump, nets, chemicals - pretty much everything for $200.

Unbelievable! On top of that, he has a big SW tank at his workplace that he has had serviced by 2 different non-big-box LFSs, neither of which has been very happy about, so I may get a customer out of the deal in my vision to start a business maintaining aquaria.

No the only problem I have is to figure out a may to move the sucker, and figure out a place to put it! Right now I'm reading "The complete idiot's guide to the saltwater aquarium" which is very informative, checked it out from the library but I think I might buy it.

So far, I think I'll have to get a protein skimmer, possibly make a hood for a better lighting setup instead of being locked into 2 strip lights, and a UV sterilizer, unless he had one of those I didn't see.

My other options for this tank are 1) clean it up and sell it for more, or 2) discus tank.

Make sure you find out what meds were used in the tank....

I agree, if you don't believe him, you can fill the tank and buy a copper test kit....

Oh yes!! It is mine!!

Hard to believe, but I got all this for only $200

img_1036530_0_b3ee99108e86542fbc38cb0825ea6b42.jpg

Awesome and congrats!!!

Now the REAL $$$ needs to get spent... I forsee a MH Pendant Light, about 100lbs of LR and a nice Skimmer for your sump:)

Back
Top Bottom