Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, well I did not realize I would have such stocking limitations with a 16 gallon, but it does make sense. I have been looking into a 29 gallon biocube or even a 40 gallon tank in general. The biocube would have built in filtration. The 40 would have an ac70. what type of stocking options would be possible for either of these situations?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With a choice between the 2 I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 40 breeder for a reef tank. Also, I would skip the AC70 and just go with powerheads / live rock for filtration.

Also, in a 40b you have a bunch of options

gobies
Blennys
Reef Safe Wrasses
Clowns
Cardinal Fish
Chromis
Basslets
Mandarin (If the tank is WELL established with TONS of pods)
Jawfish

Or you could skip most of those and get a dwarf lionfish

Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
With a choice between the 2 I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 40 breeder for a reef tank. Also, I would skip the AC70 and just go with powerheads / live rock for filtration.

Also, in a 40b you have a bunch of options

gobies
Blennys
Reef Safe Wrasses
Clowns
Cardinal Fish
Chromis
Basslets
Mandarin (If the tank is WELL established with TONS of pods)
Jawfish

Or you could skip most of those and get a dwarf lionfish
so i take it that even a 40b would not suffice for a blue tang? My goal is to have at least a clown and a blue tang. Mostly because my nieces and nephews would really dig it, but to be honest, i am a bit of a nemo fan as well. My issue is space. If i go with a 40b (that is 36" right?) I would need to tear out a book shelf. A 29 biocube would work no problems, but I reckon that really does not open up many stocking options?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by piao liang yu View Post
so i take it that even a 40b would not suffice for a blue tang? My goal is to have at least a clown and a blue tang. Mostly because my nieces and nephews would really dig it, but to be honest, i am a bit of a nemo fan as well. My issue is space. If i go with a 40b (that is 36" right?) I would need to tear out a book shelf. A 29 biocube would work no problems, but I reckon that really does not open up many stocking options?
Sadly, Tangs really need a 6ft long tank. Less than that and they usually get stressed out and die. A 29 would open up quite a few options as well, nearly as many as the 40 breeder.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The 29 should be the same length as a 40B just not as deep front to back if I remember right. But that's a definite no on the blue hippo. I didn't even want to quarantine mine in my 30 when I got it so I took the risk and put her in my 180 display tank.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
The 29 should be the same length as a 40B just not as deep front to back if I remember right. But that's a definite no on the blue hippo. I didn't even want to quarantine mine in my 30 when I got it so I took the risk and put her in my 180 display tank.
Yikes, that's quite a risk. I'm going to go out of my way to get baby tangs just so I don't have to worry about the size of the QT container. If I'm not mistaken the 29 biocube is a 20" cube compared to the 40b with a 36x18 footprint
Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't see we were talking about bio cubes. Sorry and the only other living animals in it were inverts so if ick broke out it wouldn't affect anything but her and she would go to QT anyway but I got her as a rescue. A guy had her in a 40B and she was 7" when I got her. She hit my 180 and for the first week was like a FW Oscar she would just float in the same spot. Now she races my tomini tang from side to side and hole to hole. About 9" now after two years.

Tags
nano, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, start, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com