Post Cycle Debris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradD_AP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 50 gallon tank has been cycled for about a week now. The cycle took about a month. I have about 40 lbs of base rock which is showing signs of being seeded by my 15 lbs of live rock. Post cycle I did about a 30% water change and all critical levels are holding perfectly. The problem I am running into is: floating debris in the tank. It looks like my tank is snowing. Will this clear up? or should I add a protein skimmer to clear the solid debris? Thank you all for the help!

The skimmer might help and is highly desirable for any fish tank, but it's probably not the best way to remove particulates. Can you tell what is causing it? Do you add any supplemental calcium? I would place a filter pad in the system somewhere to remove these particles, but they might just settle out on their own. It could be a bacteria bloom, but that usually happens if you are dosing something to encourage bacteriological growth.

I think the particles could be coming from the live rock that I have. It looks as if portions are turning white and flaking off. I will add an additional filter pad to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom