Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I may start with just one or two because I know they have a heavier bio load. Do you think that would be wise? I just don't want to hurt them, y'know?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincritical View Post
I may start with just one or two because I know they have a heavier bio load. Do you think that would be wise? I just don't want to hurt them, y'know?
the thing is with fish in.. If you start with one in a 35 than it could take you months to reach final stock, the bb will just take longer. Add 3 gupsters. Make sure you pick some healthy active ones at the Lfs.. Keep up on water maintainance and I wouldn't be shocked if you had those gups 2 years down the road

Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want to do a fish in cycle, there is a great link on the home page of this site that goes over fish-in cycling. It can be done, it just requires more work on your part.

You can use fish food to cycle the tank also. dry/flake food will work, but frozen cubes are probably more efficient. Your fish will also love the variety of dry and frozen foods.

Another option is to get some seeded media from someone. Do you have any friends or neighbors with fish tanks? Ask them for a dirty filter pad/sponge/cartridge. Sounds kinda gross, but get a dirty sponge (keep it wet in tank water, dont let it dry out) and stick it in your filter. It will be full of beneficial bacteria needed to cycle. You can ask your LFS if they would give you one. Some stores do, some dont, just depends. They like to "sell" you stuff you dont need rather than give you a dirty sponge.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice, Brookster and Kim. I think I'll call both LFSs in my area and see if they'd be willing to sell/donate some dirty filter media to get me kickstarted with a few guppies. =)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincritical View Post
Thanks for the advice, Brookster and Kim. I think I'll call both LFSs in my area and see if they'd be willing to sell/donate some dirty filter media to get me kickstarted with a few guppies. =)
best way to do it! If I only I could mail peeps my nasty old filters haha!

Tags
question, cycling, questions, ten

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com