Potter's Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaFishels

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 gallon aquarium. I have just started adding coral into the tank. The fish I have in there are all peaceful except the Potter's Angel. Well of course he is fond of the coral but I hate to get rid of him. My question is this, if a Potter's Angel requires a minimum of 30 gallons, can I get a Biocube (29 gallons) and put him in there or do you think that is cramping his style?

Well if it were me and I didn't want to get rid of the fish completely I would spend a lot less money and get a simple 29g tank from Wally-world and keep him in that. A FO or a FOWLR isn't going to need the intense lighting and you could get away without having a skimmer on the tank with one fish. Those bio-cubes are pricey and a 29 from walmart is much much less. Check Craigslist in your area for possible deals too.

I have a damsel that I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of and he has his own tank for the same reason.

Most every other site shows a minimum of 25-30 gallons so not sure why MarineDepot is showing 100 gallons. The only reason I can think of is they do need a fair amount of space for hiding and playing in and out of the rocks. He is only 3 inches right now and should get to 4 inches total.

I have heard so much controversy around the Potter's Angel. How only 5% only live past 1 month and how they only have a 50% chance of survival and if they get stressed it can be fatal so I don't want to send him back to a small holding tank at the LFS.

Well I have good news anyway, I am just about to purchase another 75 gallon aquarium to house him in. I can't help myself and can't bring myself to give him up. I have pictures of him and will post them tonight..

I do appreciate everyone's advice and help.

Hmm that is interesting. Ive seen them listed everywhere with a 30g minimum. Marinedepotlive is the only place I have ever seen them in a 100g minimum. I wonder what they say you need for one of the larger tangs. I wonder if that is a mistake.

They have a flame angle with a recomendation of at least 20g. I think they have information a little off on some of their fish. I would think that all dwarf angles would be fine in anything from 29 up. I was curious of the other fish they sell so I checked a few and Marinedepotlive seems to have a very different view then say the Drs. Interesting.....

Last edited:
Yeah and don't order livestock from them! I was very unhappy with my order, once they finally shipped it.

More than likely recommended at 100g because of its sensitivity (usually shy and pickier eating habits than other Centropyges). IME, a 29g would be just fine if plenty of live rock is provided.

Well I just set up my 2nd 75 gallon so I could keep the Potter's, I couldn't help myself. LOL. I will have one FOWLR and one Reef, not so bad eh?

Sounds like you have the bug along with the rest of us. Good choice going with the larger tank you and your Potter's will be happier!

Yeah. I just didn't have the heart to give him up. Well my 75 gallon is setup and all is well. Once the tank has cycled I will take pics and post them up.

Thank you again to all who replied..

Back
Top Bottom