Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Potter's Dilemma

I have a 75 gallon aquarium. I have just started adding coral into the tank. The fish I have in there are all peaceful except the Potter's Angel. Well of course he is fond of the coral but I hate to get rid of him. My question is this, if a Potter's Angel requires a minimum of 30 gallons, can I get a Biocube (29 gallons) and put him in there or do you think that is cramping his style?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

about how big is the fish? if it is not large i would find it ok to do if that is the only fish you keep in there.

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well if it were me and I didn't want to get rid of the fish completely I would spend a lot less money and get a simple 29g tank from Wally-world and keep him in that. A FO or a FOWLR isn't going to need the intense lighting and you could get away without having a skimmer on the tank with one fish. Those bio-cubes are pricey and a 29 from walmart is much much less. Check Craigslist in your area for possible deals too.

I have a damsel that I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of and he has his own tank for the same reason.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A 29 is way to small for a potters angel or any other dwarf angel IMO. MarineDepot recommends a 100g tank for them.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most every other site shows a minimum of 25-30 gallons so not sure why MarineDepot is showing 100 gallons. The only reason I can think of is they do need a fair amount of space for hiding and playing in and out of the rocks. He is only 3 inches right now and should get to 4 inches total.

I have heard so much controversy around the Potter's Angel. How only 5% only live past 1 month and how they only have a 50% chance of survival and if they get stressed it can be fatal so I don't want to send him back to a small holding tank at the LFS.

Well I have good news anyway, I am just about to purchase another 75 gallon aquarium to house him in. I can't help myself and can't bring myself to give him up. I have pictures of him and will post them tonight..

I do appreciate everyone's advice and help.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Potter's Angel - Centropyge potteri - Small (USA) (Fish > Angels (Dwarf) > Potters Angel > Potters Angel OS )

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Potter's Angelfish"

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Potter's Angelfish

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmm that is interesting. Ive seen them listed everywhere with a 30g minimum. Marinedepotlive is the only place I have ever seen them in a 100g minimum. I wonder what they say you need for one of the larger tangs. I wonder if that is a mistake.

They have a flame angle with a recomendation of at least 20g. I think they have information a little off on some of their fish. I would think that all dwarf angles would be fine in anything from 29 up. I was curious of the other fish they sell so I checked a few and Marinedepotlive seems to have a very different view then say the Drs. Interesting.....
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yeah and don't order livestock from them! I was very unhappy with my order, once they finally shipped it.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

More than likely recommended at 100g because of its sensitivity (usually shy and pickier eating habits than other Centropyges). IME, a 29g would be just fine if plenty of live rock is provided.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I just set up my 2nd 75 gallon so I could keep the Potter's, I couldn't help myself. LOL. I will have one FOWLR and one Reef, not so bad eh?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com