Powder blue tangs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking at putting a powder blue in my tank I have done some research on them and the info I have found ranges from extremely hard to easiest fish so I would like some people who have experience with a powder blue to inform me on them a little bit more. I had a regal tang for a long time so Im aware of ich lol till I tore down my first tank and now I started my 100 gallon and was looking t getting a powder blue in it any advice will help!

got one at the moment... hes a fairly small guy..... about 2" long at the moment. I've honestly never really had a problem with him in my 265g tank.

They do like to swim A LOT. probably the most active tang ive came across... they do sometimes get semi aggressive with other tangs around the same size... my one always has a go at my vampire tang... not for being territorial... just before he feels like it lol.

The only really advice I could give is make sure its got plently of room to swim and definitely QUARINTINE!!! as you may know

Just realized you have a regal tang already.... in a 100g.... it may work but you may find a bit of bullying at the start

I agree. I had one and it died a week later from ich because i didnt quarantine. While i had it, i realized that they LOVE algae!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put one in a 100 gallon tank. They get big, are mean and are ich magnets. I say at least a 125 with a 180 being better.

I probably should have mentioned when I tore down the tank I sold the regal tang lol so it would only be one tang ha

ooooooh you may be pushing it for a powder blue lol.....

I think honestly you should be fine if you buy it small but over time when it grows up you may have to look into an upgrade. they grow fairly large, but it'll take forever to get that size

Both the powder blue and clown tangs are considered harder to keep because of their swimming styles and propensity for stress related problems. Aggression on their part are usually the problem. My clown tang and previous powder blues are very active swimmers that need some horizontal space. A tiny one would be okay for a while but they grow fast.

My clown tank is still only 4" so he lives in a 6' long frag tank. I will not add him to my big reef when he gets bigger because he is a maniac. He would throw the rest of my tang population into overdrive. He will go to a nice big fish only system.

Last edited:
My qt is a 20 long would tht be big enough to house the little guy till I feel he's ready to be moved again?

Back
Top Bottom