Power compact lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a new 75 gal aquarium on Craigslist a week ago and the lady sold me the light as well and I was wondering how good it was?
It is a Current USA brand and is a power compact fixture with 4x96 watt bulbs in it....what corals would be good for this lighting?

Soft corals and LPS. It's a lot of wattage with not a tremendous amount of punch. Plus, the lamps are very expensive to replace, and there are very few lamp color options.

Okay well what kinds of corals can I NOT do? That way I'll know what not to buy

SPS as in...? Sorry the guy at my lfs doesn't know very much do before I buy anything I do the research first...

Sps stands for small polyp scleractinian. These are the stony corals that require strong lighting and pristine water conditions. Some are branching and others are encrusting. Google "sps corals" for many examples.

Ok thanks found it, those are all the Montiporas and stuff like that right? Well that's good because I've never really liked those anyways but I absolutely love the LPS corals and some acans and mushrooms, green star polyps and some zoas....those would all work right?

Back
Top Bottom