Power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camcamgia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started my reef tank 3 months ago. It's a 30gallon. First salt water tank ever. Things are going great I have a pulsing Xenia frag, duncan coral, green star polyp, mushrooms and a torch coral. 2 clowns and 2 damsels, 1 Bangaii Cardinal and a peppermint shrimp. I don't have any power head/flow in my tank besides my filter and because I'm all new to this I'm not sure what to get in terms of a power head for good flow. Any recommendations for a 30 gallons? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't know too much about saltwater tanks...

But I do know that the type of powerhead doesnt matter so much as complete circulation.

For that size I would look into a maxi-jet

I'd recommend aiming for 30-60x the tanks volume in flow rate. If it were my tank I'd probably grab 2 jaebo wp10s or 1 wp's and a korillia 600 or so.

Sorry, I don't know too much about saltwater tanks...

But I do know that the type of powerhead doesnt matter so much as complete circulation.

For that size I would look into a maxi-jet

I agree with bigred but I just wanted to correct this. The type of powerhead is actually quit important for a reef tank. Maxi jets put out linear flow in one direction, this can work if you angle enough of them properly to create random flow but they're not very good for the type of flow we want. Koralias are much better because they put out more general flow and tend to create more randomized currents. Corals like random turbulent flow vs. linear flow. The Jaebos and vortech pm series IMO are the best with tunze phs coming in a close second. These powerheads are controllable and allow you to create different currents for the best randomized flow.

Thank you everyone for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry bout that fellas. Wasn't aware of linear vs general. Appreciate you not flaming me and correcting me kindly.

Now that I think of it, makes sense.

Sorry bout that fellas. Wasn't aware of linear vs general. Appreciate you not flaming me and correcting me kindly.

Now that I think of it, makes sense.

No problem :). Glad my description helped lol

Back
Top Bottom