Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-30-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
power head advice

I have a 75 gallon tank and I just added 70 pounds of live rock this week. I am running a fluval 304 canister filter, mainly for water flow. I have two profile 601 powerheads. They should go at opposite ends of the tank, correct? They can be set to mix air in with the water as it shoots out. Should I be adding air?

dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I wouldn't add air for SW... Alot of things that you might add later are irritated by air bubbles. Point the two power heads at each other.

Are the profiles still new? If so you should take them back and get some maxijet 1200 which are rated at 295 gph. Your 601's are rated only at 125. You would need 6 of them to get the proper circulation in your tank. 5 if you wanted to count on the fluval output being consistant (which I would not as I have the 104 and they tend to lose gph as time progresses and need cleaning). If you cannot take them back go pick up two maxijets and use one of your 601's to mix salt water.

Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
No air. One on each end of the tank. Point them toward the center and top of the tank. Try to breeak the surface a bit with at least one. Your goal is to create a nice caotic current with them.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks, OK, the air is off. I was under the impression from the lfs that this would be enough circulation for live rock, a few hermit crabs and shrimp, and fish. No? I'm not planning to get into corals, unless in the far-off future.
dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote

power head

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com