Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Power head info for newbie

I have 2 Rio hyperflow Ph's for my 65 gal tank. Any ideas where I should place them. Should I put them in line directly across from each other, one on the top and one on the bottom of different sides. Any help would be greatly helpful

Old 12-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would put them both on top, one in each corner. Point them toward each other and toward the surface. YOu want to break the surface of the water as well and have the two currents "colide" with each other to create caotic movement in the tank.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did not ask the original question.. but I am interested in the answer as well.

I have a 54 gallon corner unit with a bowed front. We purchased two MaxiJet 1200s. We have installed one on the right wall pointing upward and toward the middle of the tank. It is going against the slight current that the filter is creating. It seems to me that this is sufficient movement in the tank. Should we go ahead and install the 2nd as well? If so, where? We also have a Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer with a MaxiJet 1200 on it.

Thanks
DJ
Old 12-29-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go ahead and add the 2nd Maxijet. You can't really count the skimmer in the overall GPH filtration. I have my 1200's on the corners facing towards the middle of the tank to provide good aeration. 2 of these will give you the flow that you need. 54g X 10 = 540gph would be a good rule of thumb. 2 Maxijet's will offer the perfect solution for this tank, giving you more filtration as you increase your bio load.

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

How far down into the tank do you put the maxi jets? The top of ours is currently about 4 inches down in the tank. And do you want bubbles blowing out or just water? We went to the LFS today and overheard an employee telling a couple that you don't want any bubbles in the tank as they can damage the fish's eyes. You just want the current to ripple the top of the tank. I asked him where to put the power heads and he said "in the garbage"!

DJ
Old 12-30-2004, 03:28 AM   #6

i agree with lando and put them across straight across from each other
Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I asked him where to put the power heads and he said "in the garbage"!
Obviously, your LFS doesn't know much about marine aquariums. I would be cautious with his/her advice on setups. As long as you have the PH submerged, there will be no bubbles.

Mike
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
I have a mag and two powerheads First I put the mag outflow hitting the glass so it bounces back into a circular motion next with my powerheads I put the on the same side on abouse 3 inches above from the sand and one in back of the live rock on top I just did this because I have the mag though if you want a good water current I would suggest addint them across from each other as "lando" stated.

Tags
power head

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com