Power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ojmenard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to order my live rock to start cycling my tank. First I need to get the power heads in the tank. I know it is better to use 2 power heads to get a cross flow going but what size should they be for a 55g tank. Also right now i have 2 HOB filters running should I leave them on while cycling the tank. I am going to go with the live rock and a protien skimmer once the tank has cycled but i have been told not to use the skimmer till after it has cycled. So should i just use the power heads or should I leave the bio filters running during the cycling process.

First of all welcome to AA. You could leave the filters running for extra circulation if you want. You could also let the bio filters run and cycle for your QT if you are going to run one. Also just two good PH`s to create chaotic flow is all you need. Does this tank have a sump. If so the return line will give off some good flow.

my question is which PH do i get though. I am looking at the hydor koralia ones right now but what kind of flow do i need should i get the koralia 2, 3, or the 4. I am not running a sump as my wife does not want anything outside of the cabinet. unless you can help me with something that will fit under the cabinet (it is not a full open cabinet it divided into 3 parts by support walls. so the areas i have to work with are not huge underneath. as far as a QT goes I hadnt really thought about that yet as i am quite some time away from adding any animals to the tank. What size tank would you recomend for a QT tank.

I am looking at the hydor koralia ones right now but what kind of flow do i need should i get the koralia 2, 3, or the 4.

Yes those come highly recommended on this site. I use one seio as I have two return lines that have powerful pumps that keep high circulation in my tank already. I use the seio for my sps corner. I cant help you on what size of those pumps as I dont use that brand. Sorry.

First off... I'm a big fan of flow. Some of the most succesful tanks I've seen in person have 50-100x! For a 55, I'd probably opt for 2 K2s (600GPH ea.).

Welcome to AA!

get the vortech. I am LOVINGG it. Mp40w. 400 bucks though.... but it's the only powerhead you need. I hate looking at powerheads.

Back
Top Bottom