Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Power Heads

So I have been looking and doing some research. I was wondering what I should go with for a power head. At first I was thinking The Echo Marine Vortech Mp40 ES but the price tag isn't sitting well with me. So today I was looking online and found the Tunze Turbelle Nano Stream 6045 Power Head Pump. I was thinking about running two of the tunze with a Tunze wave Controller 7092. I can do that set up for little more then half the price of a Mp40 Vortech. I have seen both operate and personally I think the Mp40 is to loud compared to the tunze. I understand that the MP40's Dry side is the motor and that's where the noise comes from. Also with me going with 2 Tunze 6045 Power Heads with the Controller ill be able to have more water movment and less dead spots, and the Tunze's you can point them in any direction. So what do you people think. Am I thinking of this the right way or not. If I can recreate what an Mp40 can do with what I have said earlier and save me couple hundred dollars, Should I go that route?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those wp's that everyone is using a pretty good hooked on's up for a friend on his 90 It worked great and the price is good. I just don't like to see the cord in my display but that's me.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy554 View Post
So I have been looking and doing some research. I was wondering what I should go with for a power head. At first I was thinking The Echo Marine Vortech Mp40 ES but the price tag isn't sitting well with me. So today I was looking online and found the Tunze Turbelle Nano Stream 6045 Power Head Pump. I was thinking about running two of the tunze with a Tunze wave Controller 7092. I can do that set up for little more then half the price of a Mp40 Vortech. I have seen both operate and personally I think the Mp40 is to loud compared to the tunze. I understand that the MP40's Dry side is the motor and that's where the noise comes from. Also with me going with 2 Tunze 6045 Power Heads with the Controller ill be able to have more water movment and less dead spots, and the Tunze's you can point them in any direction. So what do you people think. Am I thinking of this the right way or not. If I can recreate what an Mp40 can do with what I have said earlier and save me couple hundred dollars, Should I go that route?
Personally Ecotech MP40s 10s 60s whatever are WAY over priced. I ran them and saw no benefit other than when i got bored i could make waves in my tank and piss my fish off. I went to the koralia evo pumps on the hydor wave maker and I'm happy with them. Tunzes are good powerheads but the price on them is still pretty high.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Personally Ecotech MP40s 10s 60s whatever are WAY over priced. I ran them and saw no benefit other than when i got bored i could make waves in my tank and piss my fish off. I went to the koralia evo pumps on the hydor wave maker and I'm happy with them. Tunzes are good powerheads but the price on them is still pretty high.
Thanks for your input. I Have looked at the Koralia power heads and its about the same price as the tunze. I guess its a preference thing. I don't really mind the cords in the tank but cleaner the better. Is it worth spending And couple hundred dollars for no cords.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Those wp's that everyone is using a pretty good hooked on's up for a friend on his 90 It worked great and the price is good. I just don't like to see the cord in my display but that's me.
What is the Full Name of those wp pumps I would like to look them up. Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

What is the Full Name of those wp pumps I would like to look them up. Thanks
Jebao power heads.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

What's the difference between the Tunze Turbelle Nano Stream power head pump and the Tunze stream power head pump?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I Have looked at the Koralia power heads and its about the same price as the tunze. I guess its a preference thing. I don't really mind the cords in the tank but cleaner the better. Is it worth spending And couple hundred dollars for no cords.
not at all in my opinion. I hated the way my tank looked when i had cords outside my tank worse than the cords in my tank. I just pull my cords straight up into my canopy so you only see a minimal amount of wire in the tank. Plus you have to use the cord on the MPs as a saftey chain in case the dry side comes of from a fish hitting the wet side or whatever happens so you have to use a little sticky pad and zip-tie the cord to it so the pump doesn't hit the floor. In my opinion the inside of the tank may look cleaner but it makes the outside a mess.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

not at all in my opinion. I hated the way my tank looked when i had cords outside my tank worse than the cords in my tank. I just pull my cords straight up into my canopy so you only see a minimal amount of wire in the tank. Plus you have to use the cord on the MPs as a saftey chain in case the dry side comes of from a fish hitting the wet side or whatever happens so you have to use a little sticky pad and zip-tie the cord to it so the pump doesn't hit the floor. In my opinion the inside of the tank may look cleaner but it makes the outside a mess.
When it comes to the mess on the outside its all about how you run the cord so the messy look is on you lol and I have been using mp's since 08 and a fish never knock it down and never heard of anyone it happened to. Only thing I can see with someone not want to get the mp is price.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right, I agree. It's my first saltwater aquarium and if I can recreate what an mp 40 can do for half price, why not.

Tags
power head

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com