Power heads? How to set them up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wings4wheels

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I am new ti the saltwater thing and find myself full of questions. I have had fw tanks forever, and some if this stuff never came up. I am dding up a 90 gallon fowlr tank and found some old power heads in a box in the basement. What do I fo with them? Do they need a pre filter, how do i mount them? I just added water and salt, and threw them in to help the salt dissolve.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110928_152412.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110928_152412.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 68
I don't have any of the mounting equipment (i assume a bracket with suction cups). It just sends like quite alot of sand and fish could get sucked into them, and without the bracket, they seem like they would blow themselves around the tank. Any tricks/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wings4wheels said:
Ok, I am new ti the saltwater thing and find myself full of questions. I have had fw tanks forever, and some if this stuff never came up. I am dding up a 90 gallon fowlr tank and found some old power heads in a box in the basement. What do I fo with them? Do they need a pre filter, how do i mount them? I just added water and salt, and threw them in to help the salt dissolve.

I had those same PH's when I started. They took out 3 fish. There should a mount with suction cups on it. Since u don't have anything and are about to cycle ur tank, try to get them high enough to ripple the top of ur water. One PH on each side of tank.

Fo you think I could find mounting equipment for them some where, our are they too old? I am the diy type, save a buck when I can! I am sure i can rig up some type of prefilter/fish saver to the intake, but have no idea how to mount them without the bracket.

Wings4wheels said:
Fo you think I could find mounting equipment for them some where, our are they too old? I am the diy type, save a buck when I can! I am sure i can rig up some type of prefilter/fish saver to the intake, but have no idea how to mount them without the bracket.

U can buy just the mounts... Amazon.com... Or if you goggle it they will show.

Btw, do you think two of these power heads and the two sprayer bar returns for the canisters will be enough flow for a 90 gallon fowlr tank? These two power heads are hanging in the back corners about half way down now and are really rippling the surface well!

Wings4wheels said:
Btw, do you think two of these power heads and the two sprayer bar returns for the canisters will be enough flow for a 90 gallon fowlr tank? These two power heads are hanging in the back corners about half way down now and are really rippling the surface well!

They should be. What kind of canister? Just be careful with the PH. They will suck up fish. May need to make a screen for the intake.

They are off brand (knock offs) I got off ebay a few years ago. Specs say they would push over 800 gph combined. Had them running on a packed tropheus tank (approx 30-40 voracious eaters), and they handled that pretty well. Don't plan on ever having this sw tank stocked any where near that level!!

Wings4wheels said:
They are off brand (knock offs) I got off ebay a few years ago. Specs say they would push over 800 gph combined. Had them running on a packed tropheus tank (approx 30-40 voracious eaters), and they handled that pretty well. Don't plan on ever having this sw tank stocked any where near that level!!

Should be good movement... Especially being ur just doing a fowlr...

Cool. More money for live rock! Planning on 50% live sand 50% pool filter. Going to order 50lbs of nice base rock online, then buy as much live ($6/lb) as I can, then add more live til I get atleast 100 lbs total.

Wings4wheels said:
Cool. More money for live rock! Planning on 50% live sand 50% pool filter. Going to order 50lbs of nice base rock online, then buy as much live ($6/lb) as I can, then add more live til I get atleast 100 lbs total.

Live sand is a waste of money...

I know, but I traded in a bunch of fish and equipment to the lfs for store credit, and they conned me into it. Good news is I love the look of it! At just over a buck a pound, it hurt when I got it, but atleast it looks cool.

Back
Top Bottom