Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Power heads? How to set them up?

Ok, I am new ti the saltwater thing and find myself full of questions. I have had fw tanks forever, and some if this stuff never came up. I am dding up a 90 gallon fowlr tank and found some old power heads in a box in the basement. What do I fo with them? Do they need a pre filter, how do i mount them? I just added water and salt, and threw them in to help the salt dissolve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110928_152412.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	54032  

Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have any of the mounting equipment (i assume a bracket with suction cups). It just sends like quite alot of sand and fish could get sucked into them, and without the bracket, they seem like they would blow themselves around the tank. Any tricks/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4wheels
Ok, I am new ti the saltwater thing and find myself full of questions. I have had fw tanks forever, and some if this stuff never came up. I am dding up a 90 gallon fowlr tank and found some old power heads in a box in the basement. What do I fo with them? Do they need a pre filter, how do i mount them? I just added water and salt, and threw them in to help the salt dissolve.
I had those same PH's when I started. They took out 3 fish. There should a mount with suction cups on it. Since u don't have anything and are about to cycle ur tank, try to get them high enough to ripple the top of ur water. One PH on each side of tank.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fo you think I could find mounting equipment for them some where, our are they too old? I am the diy type, save a buck when I can! I am sure i can rig up some type of prefilter/fish saver to the intake, but have no idea how to mount them without the bracket.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Fo you think I could find mounting equipment for them some where, our are they too old? I am the diy type, save a buck when I can! I am sure i can rig up some type of prefilter/fish saver to the intake, but have no idea how to mount them without the bracket.
U can buy just the mounts... Amazon.com... Or if you goggle it they will show.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool, thanks again! Love this site!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Cool, thanks again! Love this site!
No problem. Here to help.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Btw, do you think two of these power heads and the two sprayer bar returns for the canisters will be enough flow for a 90 gallon fowlr tank? These two power heads are hanging in the back corners about half way down now and are really rippling the surface well!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Btw, do you think two of these power heads and the two sprayer bar returns for the canisters will be enough flow for a 90 gallon fowlr tank? These two power heads are hanging in the back corners about half way down now and are really rippling the surface well!
They should be. What kind of canister? Just be careful with the PH. They will suck up fish. May need to make a screen for the intake.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are off brand (knock offs) I got off ebay a few years ago. Specs say they would push over 800 gph combined. Had them running on a packed tropheus tank (approx 30-40 voracious eaters), and they handled that pretty well. Don't plan on ever having this sw tank stocked any where near that level!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com