Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-23-2003, 06:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by mtglore
I'm pretty excited about this. Given the location of the receptacle and the basement, I don't think it'll be too tough. Maybe afterwards I'll try to ground other receptacles around the house. I was always so afraid of home wiring, but after reading up on it, I think it is something I can definately do and a good skill to learn.

If I may add something to the rest of the excellent advice you have received. Please do yourself a favor and buy a good circuit tester and a label kit to identify your wiring and circuits as you work on them. And please, at a minimum, triple check the circuit to make sure it isn't hot before you start working with the wiring. Remember...............you only get 1 mistake when it comes to electricity.

cal91666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:54 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Just do me one favor...buy a book on basic wiring. Then, if you are even the slightest bit unsure about ANYTHING, post a question. There are plenty of us on here who can help you with wiring questions and none of us want to read about you in the obituaries.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yea, a good wiggy is a great tool. And I have had several chances. The biggest thing is that if there is any doubt, only use one hand. Your fingers will complete the circuit in the one hand as opposed to running it up one hand, through your heart, and out the other.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Very good again.. a suggestion on using your wiggins though. Always check it on a KNOWN LIVE CIRCUIT FIRST. Then check the circuit you are going to work on. This verifies that you have a fully functional wiggy. Inspect all of your insulated handles on your tools and tape them off with electrical tape if there are any questionable areas. Shut your power down feeding the panel if possible... never work in a panel that has live circuits even if the circuit you are working with is dead. This is where the one hand rule comes into effect and really is a good practice but is meant for trained electricians working in panels with hot circuits....

It only takes a few mA (milli amps) to fibulate your heart.

Some electrical accidents I have been around...

120 VAC hurts and always seemed to make me hit my head.

277 VAC rocks you and actually made me sick to my stomach

480 VAC... Knocked my father off his feet ... he had 4 Camels lit when his partner asked him what happened.... his wiggy shorted out on him.

13.8 KVAC blew the knee caps off a friend of mine working in a ditch next to the road.

All of the above were lucky, all the above were trained electricians. Be careful and don't assume anything.

maiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com