Powerhead advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a 29G SW. What's the recommended gph from a powerhead? Also what's the best API testing kit to get? Saltwater master or reef master?

Starting a 29G SW. What's the recommended gph from a powerhead? Also what's the best API testing kit to get? Saltwater master or reef master?

They say 40-50x tank volume for power head rate. I would get 2 Hydor Koralia 550s. I prefer at least 2 PHs. Just to mix the flow up. Check out Hydors website they have a chart break down. People like vortech PHs a lot too. I prefer Hydor at my current stage in reef keeping. The magnet/ suction cups are great.

As for test kit, it depends on what you are testing. It's fundamental to start with the salter water master, meant to help with cycling. The reef keeper is for maintains proper levels with corals:Ca, Phos, Alk, pH.

I have both kits. I used them a lot at the beginning, now I hardly test. My tank is pretty stable.

FYI, there is some inaccuracy with the API kits. The Red Sea kits are supposed to be more accurate but they are more expensive. For the most part I think API is sufficient for getting started.

They say 40-50x tank volume for power head rate..
the amount of turn over you want is going to be determined by what you plan on keeping in the tank. id do 10-15x for fowlr, 15-30x for lower flow corals, 30-50x for high-flow corals. of course those numbers fluctuate depending on who you talk to but that's a good start.

The magnet/ suction cups are great..
+1. do yourself a favor and buy high-quality powerheads. (koralias are amazing, I run them as do MANY others) I upgraded to Koralias from some maxi-jet's and I couldn't be happier. the rubber mount/magnet is a huge help in isolating the noise too.

if you aren't sure exactly what you want to keep in your tank yet, id look into controllable powerheads. they will allow you to adjust the power from 5-10% up to 100%

oh and in my experience, test kits don't have to be insanely accurate to be helpful. as long as you can see a problem coming beforehand, your test kit accuracy shouldn't concern you. once you move into coral packed tanks requiring very precise measurements, then of course you'd want to step up your test kit accuracy

My 180 has 4200 rated gph between my powerheads and return pump. With the option to run all four PH for 7200 gph. I have 4 koralia 1500s on a wave maker. Two on each side and they alternate every 1.5 minutes to keep things fluctuating. Also has a feeding switch to flip and cut flow drastically while trying to feed shy or less aggressive feeding fish. Just make sure you use a bigger grain sand if you plan on high flow.

Tkey3425 said:
With the option to run all four PH for 7200 gph. I have 4 koralia 1500s on a wave maker. .
This is what we call a contained tsunami. Holy flow Batman

i run hydors on my 65g tank they are a good ph not great. i have had them start in reverse and the front grills break when used as wave maker. on my 125g i have 2 tunze 6105 and i think they are worth every penny i spent on them

Back
Top Bottom