Powerhead Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question about my powerheads in my 55G tank. I have two maxijet 1200s, one in the left, one in the right rear corners. They're aimed up towards the middle and slightly towards the back. I have cyano problems and they usually are along the front of the aquarium.

In my size tank, should I have more flow? I was thinking of maybe some much smaller powerheads in front aiming towards the botton, but I'm worried it may be too much for my anchor coral, mushrooms, candycanes and LTA. I noticed when the powerheads were aimed towards the center top of the tank, some of those were getting pushed quite a bit.

Good ole lfs tells me that most aquarists don't have nearly enough movement and that two 1200s in my tank is "a good start."

Please advise. I can post a pic if necessary.

Edit: I am currently working on reducing nitrates and phosphates with frequent pwc and less feedings, but if flow is a problem I want to address that also.

You generally want 15 to 20 times your tank volume in flow/current for a reef tank. If I remember right the 1200's have about 300GPH flow. You could put a powerhead in rear center facing the front glass. This would increase flow and cause a nice turbulent direction change in the water flow.

AS soon as you think it is way too much flow, you are usually getting close to a calm day on the reef. Go diving in the shallows on a calm day and you will see just how much churn there is in the reall ocean. Actually don't, you probably won't make it if you are not very well qualified to dive shallow reefs. I think the 15-20X the size of the tank works very well. There really are very few things that do not like flow, most of the time it is the direction that is at issue not the overall amount. For instance, a direct powerhead blast versus a powerhead angled off the glass are two very different things, so experiment with the direction and see how things fare. Good luck and go with the flow!

Thanks, guys. So the 1200 is 295 gph, so with three of them, I would be in the range of correct flow. Brendon, were you suggesting the extra powerhead in the center be at the top? Should I have any powerheads down low? I moved them back up top because my lta got wrapped around one, but I covered them with nylon so they are safer now.

One other thing, I have my remora pro at center back top of the tank and it has a mag 3 pump, so there is the return to the tank from the skimmer there at center top back of tank. Still think I need another one?

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention the skimmer in the first post.

The flow that comes from the skimmer helps a lot with surface agitation but I don't think it helps much with the random, turbulent flow that you will get with the powerheads.

Some of that flow needs to be up at sdurface for surface aggitation to get oxygen in tank. You might have iot covered but I just brought it up.

You have the other two powerheads facing up and towards the back. If I were you, I would have the third 1200MJ in the top back center facing the front of the tank and down slightly. The water flow will flow down the front of the glass. This will help with the cyano in the front of the tank you mentioned.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom