powerhead placement and dead spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i have rearranged the live rocks and played around with the placement of the powerheads (Koralia 425 and Aqua clear). Just recently i have been through a diatom breakout and slowly but surely it's going away. what i'm noticing now is that there's brown spots on the corners of the tank. are those dead spots due to a good water flow? or dead diatoms? can someone recommend a way of getting rid of them or a better placements of the powerheads if the brown stuffs are the results of the lack of water flow?

Placements: Koralia is on the right rear corner slightly angled downward
Aquaclear is on the left center with Hydor FLOW deflector

Attachments

• IMG719.jpg
    IMG719.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG717.jpg
    IMG717.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG716.jpg
    IMG716.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 116
I'm in the "high flow" camp and like at least 20 x tank volume. I am currently running at about 28 x and want it a little higher like 35 x.

That could be build up due to a dead spot but I think diatoms can form even in higher flow areas. Now if you see detritus or uneaten food collecting in an area it is definitely a dead spot and you will want to adjust.

I'm in the "high flow" camp and like at least 20 x tank volume. I am currently running at about 28 x and want it a little higher like 35 x.

That could be build up due to a dead spot but I think diatoms can form even in higher flow areas. Now if you see detritus or uneaten food collecting in an area it is definitely a dead spot and you will want to adjust.

well, the thing is that i don't have many things in the tank. two hermit crabs one pistol shrimp, and one goby. i don't overfeed. but i have no idea what's causing the sand on the corners to "turn"/look brown. it's definitely not diatom or algae. it looks fuzzy but not any sort of hair algae.

Try aiming the power heads at each other the flows crashing into one another will give you a good random flow.

You would think so but it dont, it creates a random flow through out the tank

I position my powerheads slightly upwards to get surface agitation and towards the front glass. The two flows meet and crash causing chaotic flow. :)

oh really? i can try to reposition the powerhead on each side a little bit. but do you guys think i have enough flow? one is koralia 425 and the other one is AquaClear 50

Move it to the back center of the tank That will take care of those corners

also i ordered a Koralia 750 from Amazon that i'm going to replace the 425 with because i feel 425 isn't much for my 29gal at all for some reason, maybe due to the live rock interfering with the flow? the spare 425 will go to a different tank after that.

Yup Im running around 10k gph. in an 8 ft long 180 IMO there's no such thing as to much flow I'D take the ac out and try the two hydor's first

Back
Top Bottom