Powerhead question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budda619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gallon tank and want more flow. Currently my return pump creates a flow. My question is would it be better to buy a powerhead or get a stronger return pump? My sump is built in to the back of my tank with a dry wet filter setup

I use three Hydor Korelia 425 nano powerheads in my 40g breeder. They are good and they use magnets and suction cups so no worries about them falling off glass.

I use three Hydor Korelia 425 nano powerheads in my 40g breeder. They are good and they use magnets and suction cups so no worries about them falling off glass.

Wow three? Since i have a 30 g tank, what would be the recommended gph to have? My friend tells me its a rate of ten plus. So for example 30g times ten turn over rate is 300gph. I am so confused

Id go with at least a 550 or even a 750 run it on a timer so your tank gets a break at night Im running close to 10k per hr. in my 8ft 180 and my fish have no problem

Is there such a thing as to much water flow? Im getting conflicting information

Pretty much it all depends on the tank setup. You just don't want any sediment building up. You want to keep anything like food particles and poo in the water column till it gets picked up by whatever filtration you are using.

Is there such a thing as to much water flow? Im getting conflicting information

That depends. I jam my tanks full of powerheads. Not only do the SPS coral tha I keep enjoy it, it makes it difficult for food to settle on the bottom where it can rot. If I drop some brine shrimp into my tank, what isn't consumed by my fish needs to stay in the water column so it can be removed by the mechanical filtration that you have in the tank. But you don't want a jet engine on each side of the tank that is so strong that your fish can't swim and are pressed against the glass.

For fowlr tanks, you don't need as much flow as you would a coral tank. A softie tank can be about 10x the water volume of your tank where lps is about 30 and sps 50ish. This is a rough estimate rather than a true guideline.

So im undecided on whether to get a rio 1400 or maxi jet 1200. I heard the mj is loud but has a hear problem while the rio 1400 is to strong for my 30 gallon tank and will blow my sand in to a corner. Any suggestions? I have a variation of coral types.

Maxijet flow rate is 295
Rio 1400 flow rate is 425

You'll be ok with the rio if it does blow the sand you can aim it up wards to help slow things down

I ended up going with a sicce syncra. Cant even hear the powerhead. Thx all

Back
Top Bottom