PowerHead Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbaughman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK so I bought a Power Sweep 214 from PetsMart this morning. Its for aquariums up to 30 gallons. automatic rotating powerhead..blah blah..well it says something about hooking it up to an underground filter..well i dont have that..so can i just place it in the tank and let it go to town, or what should i do? And should I hook it up to an airline that was once used on a bubble wand?

It should have an undergoround filter adapter that goes on the bottom with slits in it correct??? If so you should be able just to place it in the tank.. Alot of the FW ppl like to hook powerheads up to the UGF as it helps dramatically with filtration and keeping the levels lower.. But since most of up dont have UGF in our SW tanks there is no need to hook it up to on.. Just place it where you want and go to town with it..

HTH,
James

ok so i wont hook up an airline tube to it, but now...its got the plastic tube connected to the base of it, do i want to put on the black sponge thing over the tube? Sorry if this doesnt make any sense! But let me know what you all think about it. THanks

If you have potential animals that might get "sucked" into the intake, I would definately suggest it. It is always a good idea to protect the intakes of powerheads when possible. I have three powersweeps in my tank and all use the sponges, you just need to rinse them out about twice a month.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom