Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to bbaughman
PowerHead Question...

OK so I bought a Power Sweep 214 from PetsMart this morning. Its for aquariums up to 30 gallons. automatic rotating powerhead..blah blah..well it says something about hooking it up to an underground filter..well i dont have that..so can i just place it in the tank and let it go to town, or what should i do? And should I hook it up to an airline that was once used on a bubble wand?

Old 09-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
cj10488

It should have an undergoround filter adapter that goes on the bottom with slits in it correct??? If so you should be able just to place it in the tank.. Alot of the FW ppl like to hook powerheads up to the UGF as it helps dramatically with filtration and keeping the levels lower.. But since most of up dont have UGF in our SW tanks there is no need to hook it up to on.. Just place it where you want and go to town with it..

HTH,
James
Old 09-10-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
cj10488

Quote:
And should I hook it up to an airline that was once used on a bubble wand?
There is no need to.. You really dont want bubbles in you tank it produces too much salt creep... all you need is the water flow

You might also want to check out this http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1727

HTH,
James
Old 09-10-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to bbaughman
ok so i wont hook up an airline tube to it, but now...its got the plastic tube connected to the base of it, do i want to put on the black sponge thing over the tube? Sorry if this doesnt make any sense! But let me know what you all think about it. THanks
Old 09-10-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
steve-s

If you have potential animals that might get "sucked" into the intake, I would definately suggest it. It is always a good idea to protect the intakes of powerheads when possible. I have three powersweeps in my tank and all use the sponges, you just need to rinse them out about twice a month.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com