powerhead size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone --

I've got a 55 gal with about 120# of LR that has cycled, and I finally got to the point of adding a couple of small percs and a cleaner shrimp. Oh happy day! All are fine and seem just fine.

However, in addition to the Fluval 404 and HOT skimmer, I've got a JbJ 2500 power head (which pumps about 500 Gph). The guy at the LFS said that I should have about 10 gph flow for every gallon of water. Anyway, circulation is great, and the rock is doing well, but the new little guys seem to have a tough time against the current. They stay together (which I expected), but also stay in one spot in the open (which I didn't expect). I would think they would seek refuge near a rock if it were too much. Anyway, is it too much flow from a single direction, perhaps? Would a couple of smaller powerheads be better, and if so what size?

Thanks.
Matt

I think more smaller powerheads will create a more natural and turbulent environment. Most critters don't care for a single laminar stream of current. Look at the Maxi-Jet line of powerheads. The Maxi-jet 1200's are 295 gph, I would think about placing 2 or even 3 of them in different places in the tank. A common setup is one in each corner shooting towards the center of the tank and place the third anywhere you see calmer waters. Try to get flows to collide and create more chaotic movement. Its not bad to have area of lower flow as this will give fish someplace to hang out if they feel the need. Also, if you are going reef, there are many corals that will do better in the lower flow areas. HTH.

jackdp,

I'm sorta in the same position as EBR. I have 60# LR in a 45 gal tank and I'm looking to add some PHs. My LR mostly is arranged along the back of the tank. Can the flow be blocked by the LR or should it have a clear path? Is the 10 gph/gal a reasonable guideline. If so, for my case 2-3 PHs producing around 450 gph would be OK.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Can the flow be blocked by the LR or should it have a clear path?
I think as long as the rock isn't right in front of the PH you should be okay, and make sure you're not aiming a PH right at a coral.
Is the 10 gph/gal a reasonable guideline.
10 gph is a good starting point, depending on your tank and what you keep, you may want more or you may want less. In my 20 gallon I've got more like 20x the tank volume being turned over. HTH

EBR said:
Hi Everyone --

I've got a 55 gal with about 120# of LR that has cycled, and I finally got to the point of adding a couple of small percs and a cleaner shrimp. Oh happy day! All are fine and seem just fine.

However, in addition to the Fluval 404 and HOT skimmer, I've got a JbJ 2500 power head (which pumps about 500 Gph). The guy at the LFS said that I should have about 10 gph flow for every gallon of water. Anyway, circulation is great, and the rock is doing well, but the new little guys seem to have a tough time against the current. They stay together (which I expected), but also stay in one spot in the open (which I didn't expect). I would think they would seek refuge near a rock if it were too much. Anyway, is it too much flow from a single direction, perhaps? Would a couple of smaller powerheads be better, and if so what size?

Thanks.
Matt

YOu can also distribute the flow with PVC or air tubing. I used 3/4" tubing at the output of my powerheads. This tube runs down and around inside of my LR. This got rid of all my dead spots . Just poke holes in the tubing where you want current.

HTH..

how did you attach tubing/pvc to the outflow of a PH? And is it a normal PH or one that runs in reverse?

I use 802's.. On the normal output its a 1/2" or 1/4" .. I forget .... I had to use tubing which runs down to a grey PVC to Tube connector on the PVC at the bottom..

How long have the clowns been in the tank? When I first added mine they were swimming the same way- like they didn't know how to swim and never left each other. After a day or two they got used to the tank and were swimming better- more confidently in their surroundings. That's kind of how clowns swim. If they continue to swim that way after a while, then I would be specifically concerned about them.

The other thoughts on the powerhead sizes and placements are all good thoughts.

Placement of the powerhead should not be near the top of the tank...I came home from class today to find 1/2 my substrate blasted into the corner. I'm so edited pissed off right now. I assume the water that evaporated caused the top portion of the suction to come off. There goes like half of my beneficial bacteria. I just hope my fishes don't die because the tank was a bit cloudy too.

Placement of the powerhead should not be near the top of the tank
Actually, a PH near the top or aimed at the surface is beneficial. It will create surface turbulence and facilitate gas exchange. It will break up and surface DOC 's and help to blow out excess CO2 that can drive the pH down. Just look for PH 's that hang over the top of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom