powerhead vs pump (dumb question warning)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marchmaxima

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to post this in the saltwater forum since it tends to be the SW crew that use this equipment moreso than the FW.

I'm looking for the lazyman's (lazywoman?) way of getting water from one area to another. I use a bucket to change water in my 2 footer, but in my new 120g that is obviously not an option.

Assuming I have the tank and a container with water heated, treated and ready to go, I was hoping to pump from the container to the tank using either a water pump with hose attached to it or a powerhead (with the same). A simple siphon/gravity wouldn't work since the container will be kept below the tank.

Having never had the need for one before, what's the difference between a powerhead and a water pump. They appear to be very similar and do similar jobs. Which would be best for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

that's what I was thinking... I guess I got confused because where I was looking, power heads seem around the $20-40 mark whereas water pumps seem to be $100 and up. Some were stupendously expensive

Many water pumps are well under a $100.0o Look at the Danner MAG pumps for instance. I used a small power head for my top off water and a MaxiJet 1200 for my pwc changes. My PWC tank is almost level with my tank.

While "pumps" and "powerheads" are really the same thing, normally "pumps" have greater lifting power (head) than powerheads - hence the higher cost. Powerheads are primarily designed to move water, but not necessarily "lift" it very far.

But for what you're describing, one of the larger MaxiJet Powerheads (or equal) would work just fine.

I use a ph to get the water out of my 32G mixing bucket.
To make you feel better I used to put the bucket on a ladder for a siphon...DOH! I was in Lowes and saw water pumps, and immediately knew what an idiot I am....I was water pum....thinking....pump the water out from the bucket...no more lifting....BINGO!
One work of caution, when you are finished pumping water out...make sure you take the tube out of your tank before you turn off your ph...otherwise it will siphon back into the mixing bucket....See, I learned a lot that day!

I agree with Moe Larry and Curly. You can usually pick up used ones cheap online/ebay/local club forums.

Thanks Scott, I'll definitely remember that.

With the 2 footer, I'm only PWC'ing 2 x 11 liter buckets a week. At present, I lift the bucket high enough to get a siphon going. I figure it's good for the upper body muscles to lift it manually. My chiropractor believes otherwise ;)

thanks for the tips all!

Back
Top Bottom