Powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuchuj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone

I have recently set up a new saltwater tank using a UGF, some LR and some Base rock. I know people seem to hate on UGFs but my LFS uses them and his water and fish look great IMO. I appreciate they require a little more maintenance but I happy to spend the time doing so.

Anyway, I have googled alot about powerheads and UGFs but nothing seems to be relevant to my question. I see that many people use powerheads and UGFs for reverse flow filtration. But, what I want to know is, is it ok to use a UGF with airlifts in combination with powerheads at either side of the tank for water movement. I am worried that the water being "pulled" into the gravel will be blown accross the gravel and reduce the effect of the UGF.

I have attached a picture of my tank showing the proposed powerhead positions.

What are people thoughts? Also does anybody have any
experience with the cheap powerheads on eBay?

Attachments

• PH.jpg
    PH.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 140
IMO You have to much gravel for the UGF to work to it's fullest at most i'd use 1-1.5 in you need to be able to vacum most the junk out of it. And the air bubbles will cause a lot of salt creep.
The power heads will help your tank way more than not, you need good water movement What kind of PH's are you looking at? The hydors are a good choice and the price aint bad i'm running 2 750's in my 90g and get good flow

But, what I want to know is, is it ok to use a UGF with airlifts in combination with powerheads at either side of the tank for water movement. I am worried that the water being "pulled" into the gravel will be blown accross the gravel and reduce the effect of the UGF.

I have no experience with saltwater, but lots of experience with UGFs and powerheads. I would like to help, but I do not understand this part of the question. Are you considering using both powerheads AND air bubbles to run the UGF system?

Back
Top Bottom