Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do fish need some sort of dead spot so they can relax? Or constant circulation everywhere is fine?
Supra

they don't need a dead spot. you can use timers on your power heads to cut down the flow at night if you like, but it hasn't mattered to any fish i've kept.

What kind of circulation should I be going for? I have 1 powerehead, 1 hob filter, and 1 air hose. The tank is 25g. Is this too much?
Thanks
Supra

air hose? you don't want a bubbler in a salt tank. that would be a mess!
i don't think what you have is too much.

Most fish live on reefs, which have tidal currents, so circulation everywhere is fine, as long as it's not overpowering...... plus you want to prevent dead spots to avoid nitrate build-ups (assuming reef since it's in the SW & reef section).

I put the bubbler behind 1 large piece of live rock because I thought it might have been a dead spot. Should I get rid of it? Not a reef yet but that is my plan.
Supra

they don't need a dead spot. you can use timers on your power heads to cut down the flow at night if you like, but it hasn't mattered to any fish i've kept.

woudl you actually cut down the power heads at night? i don't think that would be a good thing, keep things like nature and in nature at night is when the tides come in which usually flow more water and bigger waves, plus corals feed at night so its always good to throw things around mroe at night so they can extend and feed

Phranque said:
Most fish live on reefs, which have tidal currents, so circulation everywhere is fine, as long as it's not overpowering...... plus you want to prevent dead spots to avoid nitrate build-ups (assuming reef since it's in the SW & reef section).

A couple oh years ago while snorkeling in kona I came over the top of this coral head and watched this giant school of assorted fish in a real heavy surge zone getting sucked right pass me at a very rapid rate only to be pushed back just as fast a moment later in the other direction,.they appeared to be enjoying the whole scenario ,. Most reefs at any given time have alot more circulation than we have in our tanks ,..IMO as long as the fish aren't being bashed against the rocks they'll enjoy it.

Most powerhead controllers use a night feature that slows down the current at night. My Tunzes and controller had that. Even when I had a Wavemaster with 3 powerheads hooked into it it had a night feature that slowed the current. This one.. Red Sea Wavemaster Pro Wave Maker.

It's totally fine to have slow flow at nite. Easier for the fish to rest too.

I've seen my fish move to caves as night. If fish need to rest, I'm sure they'll move to the nooks and cranies of your tank with slower flow.

Back
Top Bottom