Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Powerheads!

What power heads would you recommend to use on a 48 gallon bow front tank? And how many? This tank I plan to have corals in.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hydor Koralia nano pumps are cheap and effective. For FOWLR, you nead at least 20 times your volume in GPH, and reef, at least 50 times your volume. It's better to have many pumps because rocks stop circulation if you use say only two. I'd use 4 pumps for FOWLR, 425 gph each, 6 for reef : 2x550 GPH, 2x425 gph and 2x240 gph. Like I said, if your rock works doesn't block flow, you could use less pumps, and use more powerful ones.

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh goodness... I didnt realize you needed that many for a reef tank... I had an extra 900 aqueon one I put in my 48 and it blew the sand CRAZY! So I'm looking to buy some for my 48 gallon. I want it to have corals in it so I'm trying to do it right. Thanks for the information.

Tags
powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com