Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashearier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do these Zoo Med Power Sweep powerheads last? Does the sweep mechanism lock up from algae growth? I just got a couple of them and was wondering if I wasted a little money for the nice sweeping action.

Opinions...

I had one that worked for almost two weeks once. The other two gave it up within the first week. You can keep the sweep action working, but it requires a lot of maintenance and cleaning. They are a decent low flow PH once you take all the guts out of the sweep mechanism...JMHO. The best PH available IMO is the Maxi Jet. They're cheap, relatively small, and will run forever.

mine lasted for about 2 months before the sweep mechanism wore out and the water pressure declined sharply...

Mine also, and that was in saltwater. in freshwater it has been a year and still going strong, but I still would suggest maxi jets.

I think I have been the exception on power sweeps. Mine has lasted for about a year now. It does require maintenace about every 3 months. You need to disassemble the power head and clean out the gears. Other than that, mine is still going strong. In between cleanings, I sometimes have to give the output a nudge to keep the rotating action going.
Since you already bought them, give em a shot.

Brian

There is a review of one in the pRoducts review section of this site I wrote. I think the general view is that while they are a great idea they dont work as well as one would expect.

What i have noticed is that the box may say the PH is rated for X GPH yet when I compair the intensity of the output of the powersweep with another PH of simular GPH rating the powersweep always appears to be outputing a lower intensity. I think this is because they use an impeller that converts the water current into a side to side motion of the sweep head and this conversion must take a fair amount of energy out of the water.

In my view they also take up a significant amount of space.

These things sound good but appear to be junk. Nice idea bad design. All the comments are very true for mine also. They are already slowly rotating and the flow is terrible. I think I am going to pick up a couple Maxi Jets in the next month. How many of what model would you all say for a 55g.

I have gone through 3 of them in a month. I finally returned them and bought some maxijets. I'd get the 1200's for a 55 Gal. . Thats what I got and I really like them.

ashearier,

Make sure that you have the flow control (a plastic wheel on the main body of the powerhead)turned up all the way.

Brian

The flow control is all the way up. I checked that right away because the flow was so low. Oh well, what can you do. Live and learn. I probably get a couple MJ 1200's when I feel the need. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom