Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Powerheads for new tank

I'm getting ready to set-up a 75 gallon SW tank. It was previously a freshwater tank (s.african cichlids). I have a wet-dry filter that I'm converting to a sump/fuge. Flow through the sump will be about 700 gph. I also have a magnum 350 canister that I will use for mechanical filtration as needed. I will be initially setting up the tank as fowlr with the intention of going to a reef maybe a year down the road. So I will be picking reef safe fish etc.

I'm wondering how many powerheads (im guessing maybe 3) and what sort of flow should I have? I like the design of the vortech's but they are a little pricey. I'm thinking of going with the Koralia's just not sure of which model to get.

I could also use some recommendations on skimmers.

cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I''m sure there are nicer powerheads (PHs) out there, but I used 2 Maxijet 1200's and another 900 in my 72g years ago for my reef tank. Put them on a Red Sea Wavemaster to get the random, on and off flow, and a feeder button to shut them all down during feeding time. I placed two of the PHs on opposite ends of the tank on the side walls and pointed them at each other to crash on the front wall. They were mounted maybe 4" or so from the top.

Welcome to AA by the way!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Nice of you to drop in on us,,,,welcome. I have a Wavemaster Pro and it has plugs for 4 PH's + your main pump. So I have 4 phs and the main pump on the wavemaster and could not be happier with the flow. I use 1-Koralia #2 and three Max. 900 and get beautiful random flow on my 65g + sump. austindad's positions are on the money...
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Thanx but no.....

I have 2 K-3's, a fluval 404 and the return from my sump (prob 500gph after head loss) and it's way more than enough for my 90
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have 2 K-4's on my 125. You can also look at TUNZE, they are more expensive than the Korelias but less than the Vortechs (if I remember correctly).
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Great...thanks for the input! That gives me a general idea for what to shoot for. BTW....RO/DI unit arrived today so I can add water to tank. Plan on waiting a week then adding live rock.

cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote

powerheads, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com