powerheads position yes or no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choupic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently I have my powerheads as follows for a 55 gallon tank:
1 seio 820 in middle front of rocks
1 seio 820 in middle shooting behind the rocks opposite side
1 rio 600 pointed up to hit surface

a diagram

flow.jpg

You fish only or reef? Circle flows are not a favorite of mine. Most go for 2 phs pointing right at each other so that a more random, crashing flow occurs. It's more natural for a tank to simulate reefs with random water flows. Healthier livestick that way IMO. Put those two ph's high enuf in there, and they will also take care of the surface ripple you want.

Maybe the smaller one in the back of the rocks to keep junk back there suspended and able to get into the skimmer or filtration. I'd do the larger two (is that 820GPH?) opposite each other, maybe about 1/3 down into the tank with the flow crashing at the front of the glass. Maybe put those two on a single power strip so you can shut'm down for feeding.

BTW, are those PHs rated at the #'s listed? 820 gph and 600? Or is it half that? If half, that'd be a 20x circulation rate which is good. 40x sounds like a lot.

just reef right now , but i have some t5's coming in friday so I can add some corals in the near future. This is my current stock:

2 perc Clownfish
1 Three Stripe Damselfish
1 Blue Damselfish
3 mexi hermits
1 Serpent Sea Star
10 turbo snails
10 blue leg hermits
1 cleaner shrimp
5 pepermint shrimp
1 Lettuce Nudibranch
1 Orange Linkia Starfish
3 emerald crabs
1 sally crab

rio 600 is Flow Rate: 200gph

Specifications:seio 820
Model: M820
Gallons/HR: 820 GPH
Cord length: 6 feet
Dimensions: 6" H x 2.375" W x 2.875" D
Watts: 18w

Um, those low ones will wreak havoc on your sand bed. I agree with austinsdad, go with the two PHs pointed straight at each other, when the two currwents meet, they will swich out in different directions, alleviating a lot of "dead" spots.

Maybe try to place them about mid way up.
This is just my opinion, others might have better input, based on their experiences.

Mount on the sides (near the front) pointing at the middle glass.

Also, look up the Red Sea Wavemaster. I love mine. It will cyle the PHs on and off. Reef/coral love it. Got a feeding button too to turn'm off for 10 minutes. It also has a nite cycle to provide more gentle currents.

Wow, my spelling was terrible! I move mine around, right now, since I am battling cyano. One of the reefers might give you better advice.

Back
Top Bottom