Powerheads undecided!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm84

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I have a 180l tank and I'm close to purchasing two new hydor koralias but haven't decided on which model. Either 2800 model would put me around 30x and the 4000 putting me at 40x. I hear 20x turnover is recommended but have also read 30x or 40x is best. I have no corals at the moment but do plan on getting some soft corals in the future.

Between the two, I'd say it's based on your livestock. Strong swimmers or a docile group?

If your doing Softies aim for atleast 30x. Mixed reef shoot for 40x and sps dominant tank up to 50x

At the minute only a pair of clowns. I obviously intend on getting more but that decision hasn't been fully thought about yet. I just know my current flow isn't strong enough and have brown hair type algae looking like its clumped together on the sand and growing from the rocks. I'm doing my best to keep on top of it though and taking positive steps :)

I've done a wc today and vacuumed it all up. I'm guessing it will be back though so I can upload a picture when it does :-/

Best way to remove it for good? I was probably guilty of overfeeding but not anymore. I'm making sure my fish eat every last piece. Two new powerheads will be installed soon, I use my own RO water and have a deltec mce 600 but use a canister too. I will also be replacing my bulbs soon. I have 4 T5s approx 8 inches above water level. 2 white 2 blue. I'm thinking the bulbs maybe losing colour because I've had the luminaire for a while but only recently started using it again. Im hoping all of these steps will help but anything else you may have to offer will be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom