Practice before a big purchase...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 Gal freshwater tank that I want to convert to a FO. I just want to keep a clown fish and some fake corals. Basically I want to learn how difficult it is to maintain a saltwater tank before I commit to going for a reef setup.
My question is can I just use the freshwater setup to keep the tank running, or do I need a new filter. If the freshwater filter is OK would I need to go through another cycle or will the current filter have to be cleaned out and started with fresh media?

10 gal is going to be hard to keep stable.

You can use your hob, but you will need to change out the filter pad.

Yes you will have to cycle again, nothing in a fw tank can survive sw, and nothing in a sw tank can survive.

Also you do not want to use fw gravel, you want cc or sand.

HTH

I planned on changing the gravel to sand. If I use sand will it eventually become live sand from the bacteria produced in the tank, or will I have to seed it using already established live sand or adding a piece of live rock?

Well it will "become live" but without adding some live sand and or live rock then you won't have the "bio-diversity". You can get live sand from another tank, order it from a place live lr.com. Don't but the "live bagged sand" from your lfs it's junk.

what is wrong with the baggedlivesand? i just bought 20lbs of this ....is this bad or did i just waste money?

what is wrong with the baggedlivesand? i just bought 20lbs of this ....is this bad or did i just waste money?

Nope! The bagged live sand from your lfs is fine, but it can be better. Ask the lfs if they will give you, or sell you a cup of there ls in one of their tanks to pour over your ls to give you more "bio-diversity."

revhtree said:

Nope! The bagged live sand from your lfs is fine, but it can be better.
I disagree. Bagged LFS "live sand" is a complete waste of money. The only thing it offers over dry sand is bacteria which you can easily cultivate during the cycle process freely. Also when you consider the product sits on a shelf for an undeterminate amount of time, how can the bacteria survive? :wink:

Ask the lfs if they will give you, or sell you a cup of there ls in one of their tanks to pour over your ls to give you more "bio-diversity."
Seeding from a mature tank is the absolute best option but be sure you get it from one of their coral only tanks. Never purchase or get sand from a tank that has had the potential to use copper or other invertebrate damaging elements.

Cheers
Steve

I have purchased this in the past and I could tell no difference between dry sand and "bagged" live sand.

justmy2cents said:
I have purchased this in the past and I could tell no difference between dry sand and "bagged" live sand.
Agreed! You're better off spending the money on something else. If anything, buy LS from on-line rock venders that have sand chalked full of bugs. Wet sand ≠ proper LS :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I'm glad this question was asked and you guys gave some good points on it, I probably would have bought LS when I bought my LR.

Back
Top Bottom