pre-cured LR? or cured LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LR.com.. but after the shipping it's quite high. well.. i will think about it since most of the ppl here are recomended about this web site.

can i grow feef after the tank has stabled?

i just bought one piece of LR from the LFS.
i was wondering when you buy LR from LR.com does it come with crabs and shirmps that swimming around?

Any rock from LR.com is likely to come along with all kinds of assorted life because it comes straight from the ocean to you ASAP. If it were me, I would simply save money until I could afford the best quality rock.

IMO, the rock that is sold by most shops shouldn't qualify as live rock. It should be sold as "rock that will work as a bio-filter"

OK...so you've got a piece of rock. Put it in the tank, and get all the pumps, heaters, and skimmer going. Go and get a dead shrimp from the grocery store and throw it in there. The idea is to create lots of ammonia to seed a healthy bacteria load on that rock. Once the cycle is completed (read about tank cycling), then your tank is more ready to receive some real high quality LR.

ok.. that's what am i doing now. hhmm.. i think i am going to order some rocks from LR.com, probably 20 lbs. do you think this is too late? as i have everything running now and i have dropped a shrimp and a piece of rock in my tank now.

It is never too late. If you dont have any fish in the tank it is even easier. It may create an ammonia spike when added but your newly colonized bacteria will cycle it quickly and catch it up to the current cycle. It may prolong your cycle but you will have a great tank.

It's never too late.....you only get into trouble if you add things too early. If you don't have test kits, take water samples to the shop and they'll tell you if you've finished cycling yet.

So what you're trying to do is to get the tank cycled and ready for life to be added. That life could be fish...or some really good LR.

Since LR spends too long in a box even when shipped directly to you, you may go through another tiny cycle when you add it. This isn't usually something to worry about unless you have a VERY mature tank containing lots of very sensitive life...which you do not.

Thanks for all your advise. After putting the LR and shrimp, I can see a lot of white substances on the bottom of the tank. I was wondering if anyone know what they are? Do I remove them or leave them there? My sand will arrive tomorrow.... Do I just add the sand in now or wait for sometime.. if I need to wait, how long do I have to wait? Please help...:)

1- Keys rock has the best color and gulf has the biodiversity of life. Contact them on the forum and ask some questions. They are great.

2- The white stuff may be undissolved salt. How did you mix the salt water? It is ok to mix in the tank this 1st time but in the future you will want the ph, temp and salininty to match before adding to the tank.

3- Go ahead and add the sand. It will take time(1 or 2 days) for it to settle in the tank and the cycling process will help. The grains will be coated with the good bacteria and make it settle. I would prefer to put the rock on the bare bottom and add the sand after but that is not a necessity.

i mixed the salt in the tank. so i do not need to siphon the white stuff out of the tank but just add in the sand, right?

What is the salinity of your water? If the white stuff is undissolved salt then your salinity will still rise as it mixes in. What type of sand are you going with? LS or playsand? Once the salt is dissolved and a good salinity measurement is found you can add the LS. You would also want pH and temp to be in the good as well.

Back
Top Bottom