Pre-drilled tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parkersmomma2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay...I have a 75 gallon tank that up until this point was on a regular aquarium stand, an overflow box, and my sump didn't fit under my stand so I had to put it on a shorter table next to the tank. It was a miserable failure with the intake flow not being strong enough for the return pump I have because of all the tubing I had to do horizontally to make it to the sump.

My idea is to pre-drill my tank so the flow is directly downward, and the return is nearly straight up. I am going to fix up an extra dresser that I have so I have room underneath the tank for the sump. (good idea? bad idea?)

Questions:
How big do I drill the holes at the bottom of the tank and stand?
Can I get one of those corner covers they have for pre-drilled tanks separately, or will I have to build my own?
Which kind of plumbing should I use, PVC or flexible? (pictures of your set up would be GREATLY appreciated.)
If I use PVC, which kind of PVC cement is non-toxic to my fish? (The night I switched from flexible tubing to PVC with old set up, I had 4 fish and several inverts die and I believe it was from poisoning.)
Should I make my return plumbing longer than the intake so that in the little corner I don't just keep mixing my return water with my intake water?
How do I control in intake of water so I don't have any overflow issues if my return pump isn't strong enough? (It's actually really strong, but I DO NOT LIKE 40 gallons of my water on my floor!!! :facepalm:)

I think that's it for questions, any other tips, ideas, whatever would be extremely helpful. I will start a thread when I start to redo the dresser, and keep you guys posted on the build.

Again...pictures of how you have YOURS set up would be very beneficial :thanks:(y)

parkersmomma2 said:
Okay...I have a 75 gallon tank that up until this point was on a regular aquarium stand, an overflow box, and my sump didn't fit under my stand so I had to put it on a shorter table next to the tank. It was a miserable failure with the intake flow not being strong enough for the return pump I have because of all the tubing I had to do horizontally to make it to the sump.

My idea is to pre-drill my tank so the flow is directly downward, and the return is nearly straight up. I am going to fix up an extra dresser that I have so I have room underneath the tank for the sump. (good idea? bad idea?)

Questions:
How big do I drill the holes at the bottom of the tank and stand?
Can I get one of those corner covers they have for pre-drilled tanks separately, or will I have to build my own?
Which kind of plumbing should I use, PVC or flexible? (pictures of your set up would be GREATLY appreciated.)
If I use PVC, which kind of PVC cement is non-toxic to my fish? (The night I switched from flexible tubing to PVC with old set up, I had 4 fish and several inverts die and I believe it was from poisoning.)
Should I make my return plumbing longer than the intake so that in the little corner I don't just keep mixing my return water with my intake water?
How do I control in intake of water so I don't have any overflow issues if my return pump isn't strong enough? (It's actually really strong, but I DO NOT LIKE 40 gallons of my water on my floor!!! :facepalm:)

I think that's it for questions, any other tips, ideas, whatever would be extremely helpful. I will start a thread when I start to redo the dresser, and keep you guys posted on the build.

Again...pictures of how you have YOURS set up would be very beneficial :thanks:(y)

Heres a good sump setup

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 80
I could be wrong but I think most bottoms are tempered

I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean I should drill the holes on the upper sides of the glass? That would probably be better surface skimming anyways right?

parkersmomma2 said:
I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean I should drill the holes on the upper sides of the glass? That would probably be better surface skimming anyways right?

Cant drill tempered glass maybe drill back glass near bottom

Back
Top Bottom