Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2003, 09:58 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
OK...bio balls are good at providing a home for the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. They do this quite well. What they do not do is process nitrate...they actually produce it. If you have enough LR in your tank (1.5-2lbs per gallon) to handle the biofiltration, then you don't need the bioballs. LR and a DSB not only convert the ammonia/nitrite, they convert nitrate to nitrogen gas. So, bio balls are not bad, but they may not be the best tool for the job.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganj
OK...bio balls are good at providing a home for the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. They do this quite well. What they do not do is process nitrate...they actually produce it. If you have enough LR in your tank (1.5-2lbs per gallon) to handle the biofiltration, then you don't need the bioballs. LR and a DSB not only convert the ammonia/nitrite, they convert nitrate to nitrogen gas. So, bio balls are not bad, but they may not be the best tool for the job.
This helps quite a bit - thanks. I have roughly 1lb of LR per gallon (not the 1.5 to 2 mentioned above) so do you think it would be a good idea for me to keep the bio-balls in place?

Or does it make more sense to add more LR to the system (even though I just about to finish cycling the tank!)

Thanks for your help and patience!

Todd

Old 07-16-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I would still remove the bio-balls, as stated they'll actually contribute to the nitrate levels in the tank. I would also add a little more LR. Doing both of those things will get you well on your way.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:29 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree with BillyZ 100%.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com