Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like ill be doing alot of research. I'm a freshwater hobbyist atm. But I'm gonna move into big boy stuff

Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

in my own opinion, I wouldn't even bother with a predator tank unless its 125g or bigger. only reason I say this is because a majority of the true "predator" fish get huge. (triggers are 10+ inches, some hitting 15-18", lions can hit 15", dwarfs are closer to 7-9", groupers and puffers 12+, non-reef safe wrasses 12+) even at 125 you'll fill up quick. also if you are going to do the predator route id def recommend going the drilled tank route. this will help with running a big sump/refugium underneath (my 125 has a 55 sitting under it) also, as stated previously, utilize craigslist as much as possible. people are always selling their fish stuff. just make sure you watch out for scams/broken equipment. come back here if you have questions about a possible purchase. the 2 places I wouldn't skimp out on are 1) amount of rock and 2) skimmer. your fish are going to eventually get pretty big, and create a ton of biowaste, an undersized skimmer will not only be less efficient but also will require more upkeep and maintaince. if you go with a 125, look for a skimmer rated around 200-250 gallons. the best part about predator tanks (and fowlr in general) is that you can get away with a lot of stuff that you cant in a reef tank.for instance, flow really isn't as important (nothing requires it for survival) and your lights will be strictly for viewing purposes, therefore allowing you to light the tank with whatever form of lights you like.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an empty 50 gallon sitting in my garage. I could use that as a sump. What's an appropriate amount of live rock for a 125?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Atleast 125, the more the better. If you built the sump/refugium right, you could run the majority of rock in there and keep the display tank open for swimming
Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok I may look into building a tank to be honest. I wanna save money. I know a lot of hobbyists go the DIY route.

I think live rock alone will be a huge investment. Do you use the website live rock 2 go?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The only site ive ver ordered rock from was bulk reef supply (an thats only because i was ordering other stuff.) id really be careful attempting a diy tank that big. Unless you have prior experience with tank building, id just spend the money and buy one. The amount of weight and pressure a 125 tank has to withstand is insanely high. I personally have seen what 125 gallons of water does to a house and its not pretty
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a terrifying thought. Well I won't rule that out. I have to weigh all of my options. I've never built a tank before but it's something I'm definitely considering.

I will also look on Craigslist and eBay for some well priced start ups.

Just gotta keep looking around. Is 2,000 enough to start a tank that large?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My opinion on tanks right now is that the cost of the tank is not near the cost of setting it up. I am interested in building my own tank as well but it doesn't seem to be worth it to me unless I want a custom look or shape that I couldn't find. My LFS has tons of big tanks in at the moment. I just bought a 90 gallon and it was only $350. My lighting alone was more than that! If you are interested in building one I say RESEARCH and go for it (maybe practice on a small one first) but if it is for cost cutting I don't think it will help a ton. In my opinion the best cost cutting is buying dry base rock and seeding it with a small amount of live rock.

I can't wait to see this tank going, I want a predator tank too.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well my first goal. Get a tank and a stand. Next a good protein skimmer.

Well. I guess I'm skipping a really important one. A spot to put the tank!!

Will my garage be suitable for an open top tank? Or is it too dusty?

I also have a spot in that could work for a tank in dad's office.

Will a 125 be too heavy for wood flooring?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does your garage get hot or cold throughout the year? That would never work in utah where I live, right now my garage gets in the 90s and down to the 40s in the winter. Other than that I'm sure it would work, there is a thread on here about a garage build that is spectacular.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com