Pred tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For that size tank I wouldn't go with any of the fish you mentioned. I would go with dwarf lions, and anglers (If I liked predator tanks to begin with). You will need an over-sized protein skimmer and I wouldn't ask what is the best one, because someone might post this!-
Bubble King Mini 180 Internal Protein Skimmer (Gen 2) - Bulk Reef Supply

Just look what the majority (of successful keepers) are using and go with one of those.

I was watching a program the other day something sea monsters but anyway it showed anglers happily eating lionfish in the wild which shocked me, just something worth bearing in mind.

Does your garage get hot or cold throughout the year? That would never work in utah where I live, right now my garage gets in the 90s and down to the 40s in the winter. Other than that I'm sure it would work, there is a thread on here about a garage build that is spectacular.

I live in Southern California. It's not too hot really. But the chilly winters might affect it. Which is why I'm considering doing a 50 gallon FOWLR in my bedroom. I just don't know what a good stock for that would be

Its all circumstantial. If you have decent floor bracing, and run the tank across several braces, a 125 shouldnt be a problem. do NOT run it parallel to the floor bracing

Its all circumstantial. If you have decent floor bracing, and run the tank across several braces, a 125 shouldnt be a problem. do NOT run it parallel to the floor bracing

I might have to check the bracing. I'll probably have to go under my house. And see which way it's running.

I was watching a program the other day something sea monsters but anyway it showed anglers happily eating lionfish in the wild which shocked me, just something worth bearing in mind.
maybe juveniles, but how large are these anglers? They have large mouths for sure, but they aren't going to eat a 5" dwarf lion.

No. They bob around on the rock and floor. they are naturally camouflaged. What's the point of a lion? They swim slowly back and forth and the only excitement is when they eat. the same goes for eels. You might only see the head....ever.

No. They bob around on the rock and floor. they are naturally camouflaged. What's the point of a lion? They swim slowly back and forth and the only excitement is when they eat. the same goes for eels. You might only see the head....ever.

I want a flame angel. Those things are awesome. Like alot of wrasse too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm following your pred tank build thread to see how I can go about setting this bad boy up.

maybe juveniles, but how large are these anglers? They have large mouths for sure, but they aren't going to eat a 5" dwarf lion.

Was hard tO judge tbh as it was zoomed in on just the angler and the lion so nothing around it to work out the size. I was just shocked as I was considering an angler and a dwarf lion together but not sure now

I'm think of doing an around 90 gallon pred tank with a snowflake eel, dwarf lion and a foxface rabbit fish think all those should be ok in tank like that and personally think it would be cool

I'm think of doing an around 90 gallon pred tank with a snowflake eel, dwarf lion and a foxface rabbit fish think all those should be ok in tank like that and personally think it would be cool

You should add a Toby of some sort. And I have a snowflake in my 40b.

Dwarf Lionfish, Toby puffer, most eels, angler, harlequin tusk. There are some really interesting predators that can be done in a tank <100g.

Harlequin tusk is one of the most beautiful fish ive seen. Do you have any experience with them?

I think so, I'm pretty sure live aquaria has them at either 55g (IMO too small) or 75g

Back
Top Bottom