Pred tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool. I have a 50 gallon I could use for a qt. I was afraid I would have to buy a new tank for qt.

Anyway. I've been looking for ways to get that started in the mean time so I could have a cycled qt while my tank is cycling.

Do I need an extra protein skimmer for that?

Good to know. I may start my Qt tank sooner than later so I can start cycling. While that's going i can get my main tank bought and started.

The way I look at it too is the qt gives me a chance to practice getting my parameters right before I set up my main.

However I've never set up a protein skimmer before. Not have I used a hydrometer. I know how to cycle. But what else should I know when cycling a saltwAter tank?

The way I look at it too is the qt gives me a chance to practice getting my parameters right before I set up my main.

However I've never set up a protein skimmer before. Not have I used a hydrometer. I know how to cycle. But what else should I know when cycling a saltwAter tank?

Try keep salt at 1.025. Ammonia have to drop to zero nitrates have to drop also but may not go to zero during cycle. You don't worry bout parameters during cycle.

Sounds simple enough. Any tips about how i should mix salt? Should I even bother with RO/DI? My Lfs sells saltwater.

Also any tips about equipment that makes life easier?

Oh yeah. I'll make sure to cycle it for 3 months. Ha Iet my ten gallon fw do the same thing. I just built it up and practically forgot about it Haha.

Secondly I was thinking maybe my garage could work for a large tank like that? Know anyone with garage setups?

Was looking at one yesterday from mr saltwater on you tube 800 gal it's sick.

Where does he live? Should work in Southern California. Would a chiller be imperative to a setup? Or is it possible to run without one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does he live? Should work in Southern California. Would a chiller be imperative to a setup? Or is it possible to run without one?

You can pull it up on YouTube big tank like that I would say you need a chiller

image-1707454752.jpg

You may want to get this book one of the best things I did it helped me out a lot it has all info from A to Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha everyone is all spread out on this site. I'll look into getting that book. I need some reading material. I'm on the road 5 days a week and I'm usually sitting co pilot.

I have a bunch of aquarium books....I can send you one...if you pay postage of course. I have the one above as well. I don't have a use for them any more.

Back
Top Bottom