Pred tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello my salty friends. Just got a great new job. I might finally be able to start a saltwater tank and not be totally broke. Anyway I've always liked predators. What do you guys think the startup cost would be for a tank around 60 to 70 gallons would be? Also stock ideas. Snowflake moray, puffer and a lion? Are those even compatible?

Next off what sort of equipment will I need? Chiller heater? Rodi? Please just break it down to me. I really wanna learn for a while before I get to the execution. Thanks!

Starting a take the cost depends. Mostly on where you buy your stuff. I would recommend looking on craigslist or maybe a forum that is oriented around the state you live in. This is where your going to get the best deals. If funds doesnt matter then you it comes down to what you think is best. Have a 125 gallon I did as many diy projects as I could to help make some things cheaper. My setup has costed me close to 4000. My skimmer and leds costed me the most. My tank was only 150 bucks plus the overflow kit and return kit I ordered from glass holes which was another 200 bucks. It adds up pretty quick.
As for things you will need: tank, light, heater, powerhead, some type of filter to clean water.
Optional: skimmer, sump, return pump, rock, sand.
As for fish idk if a lion fish would be alright they can get up to 14ins. With that size tank. But if you get a 75 gallon which is 4ft long and 18ins wide. Then you could put a dwarf lion. For eels the snowflake would be a great one for a predator tank. One of my favorites I want is the harlequin tuskfish. I think this fish is stunning it does have a high price tag but what it brings to a predator tank I believe is well worth the cash.
I know I didnt answer all your questions. The best thing to do is do some research on stuff you like or is what you are considering and post it on here. So people can post opinions on the stuff your thinking about. You will get many answers if you ask, for example, "whats the best skimmer?" This will give you an idea, but someone can have the same piece of equipment and they work total opposite. Get on marine depot and look around at there equipment or type it into youtube and watch some videos and reviews.

For that size tank I wouldn't go with any of the fish you mentioned. I would go with dwarf lions, and anglers (If I liked predator tanks to begin with). You will need an over-sized protein skimmer and I wouldn't ask what is the best one, because someone might post this!-
Bubble King Mini 180 Internal Protein Skimmer (Gen 2) - Bulk Reef Supply

Just look what the majority (of successful keepers) are using and go with one of those.

What if went bigger. Say 125? I want an eel and a flame angel. Are those fish safe to have together?

Would a puffer be too much in a tank that size?

lions aren't big swimmers, so I would consider a dwarf for a 125 (dwarfs get pretty big, despite the name), and the snowflake would be a perfect eel for that tank. You might even be able to go with a smaller moray.
Anglers don't move a lot and don't need large tanks, but they are still way cool. Rhinopias are also awesome.
A trigger might be good , or a puffer. Just make sure all of these are ok together. I'm not savvy with predator tanks. I've simply ordered them from time to time for people.

lions aren't big swimmers, so I would consider a dwarf for a 125 (dwarfs get pretty big, despite the name), and the snowflake would be a perfect eel for that tank. You might even be able to go with a smaller moray.
Anglers don't move a lot and don't need large tanks, but they are still way cool. Rhinopias are also awesome.
A trigger might be good , or a puffer. Just make sure all of these are ok together. I'm not savvy with predator tanks. I've simply ordered them from time to time for people.

I'm hoping that someone will chime in on the predator department.

I have a predator tank with a volitan lion, lunar wrasse, striped puffer, miniatus grouper, and a Niger trigger. The tank is 5x2x2. Wishing I had a six foot tank for them, but they all seem to be getting along great. I have about 160 lbs of live rock to provide plenty of hiding spots for them. The grouper is not a big swimmer as it's more of an ambush predator, as is the lion. The trigger and wrasse are the most active swimmers. My puffer just cruises. I built my own DIY skimmer that is five foot talk to handle the extra waste when it comes to feeding. I also have two canister filters which I wish I would've drilled for a sump now because I clean one each week. Not that big if a deal, but much easier to maintain a sump filter. Lighting is a four bulb t5 with lunar led's. It's an awesome tank and everyone loves the lion as it likes to be dead center of the tank fully outstretched. Very cool looking! Good luck and hope this helps a bit.

Looks like ill be doing alot of research. I'm a freshwater hobbyist atm. But I'm gonna move into big boy stuff

in my own opinion, I wouldn't even bother with a predator tank unless its 125g or bigger. only reason I say this is because a majority of the true "predator" fish get huge. (triggers are 10+ inches, some hitting 15-18", lions can hit 15", dwarfs are closer to 7-9", groupers and puffers 12+, non-reef safe wrasses 12+) even at 125 you'll fill up quick. also if you are going to do the predator route id def recommend going the drilled tank route. this will help with running a big sump/refugium underneath (my 125 has a 55 sitting under it) also, as stated previously, utilize craigslist as much as possible. people are always selling their fish stuff. just make sure you watch out for scams/broken equipment. come back here if you have questions about a possible purchase. the 2 places I wouldn't skimp out on are 1) amount of rock and 2) skimmer. your fish are going to eventually get pretty big, and create a ton of biowaste, an undersized skimmer will not only be less efficient but also will require more upkeep and maintaince. if you go with a 125, look for a skimmer rated around 200-250 gallons. the best part about predator tanks (and fowlr in general) is that you can get away with a lot of stuff that you cant in a reef tank.for instance, flow really isn't as important (nothing requires it for survival) and your lights will be strictly for viewing purposes, therefore allowing you to light the tank with whatever form of lights you like.

I have an empty 50 gallon sitting in my garage. I could use that as a sump. What's an appropriate amount of live rock for a 125?

Atleast 125, the more the better. If you built the sump/refugium right, you could run the majority of rock in there and keep the display tank open for swimming

Ok I may look into building a tank to be honest. I wanna save money. I know a lot of hobbyists go the DIY route.

I think live rock alone will be a huge investment. Do you use the website live rock 2 go?

The only site ive ver ordered rock from was bulk reef supply (an thats only because i was ordering other stuff.) id really be careful attempting a diy tank that big. Unless you have prior experience with tank building, id just spend the money and buy one. The amount of weight and pressure a 125 tank has to withstand is insanely high. I personally have seen what 125 gallons of water does to a house and its not pretty

That's a terrifying thought. Well I won't rule that out. I have to weigh all of my options. I've never built a tank before but it's something I'm definitely considering.

I will also look on Craigslist and eBay for some well priced start ups.

Just gotta keep looking around. Is 2,000 enough to start a tank that large?

My opinion on tanks right now is that the cost of the tank is not near the cost of setting it up. I am interested in building my own tank as well but it doesn't seem to be worth it to me unless I want a custom look or shape that I couldn't find. My LFS has tons of big tanks in at the moment. I just bought a 90 gallon and it was only $350. My lighting alone was more than that! If you are interested in building one I say RESEARCH and go for it (maybe practice on a small one first) but if it is for cost cutting I don't think it will help a ton. In my opinion the best cost cutting is buying dry base rock and seeding it with a small amount of live rock.

I can't wait to see this tank going, I want a predator tank too.

Well my first goal. Get a tank and a stand. Next a good protein skimmer.

Well. I guess I'm skipping a really important one. A spot to put the tank!!

Will my garage be suitable for an open top tank? Or is it too dusty?

I also have a spot in that could work for a tank in dad's office.

Will a 125 be too heavy for wood flooring?

Does your garage get hot or cold throughout the year? That would never work in utah where I live, right now my garage gets in the 90s and down to the 40s in the winter. Other than that I'm sure it would work, there is a thread on here about a garage build that is spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom