Pregnant Emerald Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Thought we saw our Emerald crab spawn on Friday evening and today she is definatly pregnant. Anyone know how long we have before these little ones take over our tank? I've attached a pic.

I have searched the web, but can't find anything...probably looking in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance

Hydra

Attachments

• pregnant_emerald.jpg
    pregnant_emerald.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 328
Congrats new parent!!!!! If you are trying to keepthe crabs alive I would suggest moving the mom to qt. The babies will become plankton in the tank and be fish food. Don't know on the incubation period though.

Well good luck. Again if you want the babies to survive you will have to move them. I was reading on reef central's site and some crabs cary their eggs for a few weeks other UP TO A YEAR. Not sure which species does which though. SORRY

No probs, thanks for the inputs anyway, currently setting up a little tank for her to go into so hopefully she wont let go off the eggs until we get her moved

Hydra

ive had rock crabs do that before boyh times at night quite the site even though ive never seen any extra crabs show up
i read that a tank with a sponge filter is good so the larva dont just get sucked up

but what the hell do i know

Just an update....our little mummy crab (Matilda) seems to have let go of all her eggs... no sign of anything in the tank, so I guess we'll only know if anything survived if we see tiny crabs running around the tank.

Thanks for all your messages, you guys are much more friendly that some other forums I could mention (but wont!).

Hydra :)

Back
Top Bottom