Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
The Polyfilter will actually remove a majority of harmful metals from tap water. The main drawbacks to it's use apposed to an RO unit is it will not remove fluorines and can end up being a costly alternative in the long run depending on the amount of use. Fluorines are quite harmful to marine animals. If your Municipal water company does not add fluorines, what you propose will work.

Make no mistake, they are an excellent means of water purification but cannot be compared to the longterm costs of an RO unit.

Originally Posted by seafan
Is an RO unit enough or should it be RO/DI.
Depends on the water quality you have. The higher the TDS, the more the need for added filtrants. Without the DI attachment you would still have the possibility of some silicates unless using a Hi-S membrane. With DI the silicates are very greatly reduced.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your concern for heavy metals and copper in the water seems to go above and beyond mosts folks concerns. Maybe your just overly cautious or do you know for a fact that your water has copper traces in it from your water quality report.

No need to use a bunch of supplments as your saltmix will have the essencal trace elements needed as well as teh salt needed to obtain the desired salinity.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the input, folks. I'm probably being overly cautious. The copper test kit I have only indicates .25 ppm up to 4 ppm. There is definitely a slight color on my test, but without any greater precision, the best I can say is "it's less than .25". (On the water company report, it says .43 for the 90th percentile. But isn't that dependent on the homes where the samples are taken? And the copper data is from 2001.)

From a cost standpoint, it's only a 37 gallon tank. If I ever decide to get a larger tank, I'm sure I'd go with the RO unit. I would rather not spend that kind of money now if it's not necessary.
effin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
for the record, I was confused and thinking of poly-fill...a.k.a. plain filter floss...hence why I said it wouldn't trap anything but larger particulate matter.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, I should have posted differently. My apologies to Malkore and anyone else offended.

snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com