preparations-Lots of questions...sorry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
YEA!! I get my first 150 gallon SW tank in exactly one week! The lfs guys are going to move it and set it up. I want to make sure I am prepared when it gets here, so can you help me put together a shopping list? I am excluding filtration and lights and stuff for now because it comes with.

I know I need salt. Table salt will work right? Just kidding. :twisted:
What brand is most recommended?
I am pretty sure we are keeping the sand that is in there, but it doesn't seem to me like there was much in the tank so I wanted to get more. Any preferred kind or brand? And should I get the crushed coral? Can I mix sand and coral?
I know I need a hydrometer and algae scraper. Test kits... what am I missing? The guy feeds his fish tablets and some other dry food. Maybe my fish are spoiled but they get 99% frozen and once in a great while do they get flakes. I would like to implement this change with his fish. Do I need to do this gradually?

Well, agronite sand works well if you can find it. Also known as tropical play sand. Check your local Home Depot. I use Instant Ocean salt and love it but lots of people swear by Oceanic. I wouldn't bother with the crushed coral. Mixing it only last for a while. Eventually all the crushed coral will work it's way to the surface. Also, crushed coral tends to hold onto food and stuff which can cause your nitrates to be high. I'm drawing a blank on what else since this is already an established system. I'll post again as I think of stuff.

Also, some additions are gonna depend on your plans for the tank. I'm so excited for you. Whoohoo!!

Meredith said:
I am pretty sure we are keeping the sand that is in there, but it doesn't seem to me like there was much in the tank so I wanted to get more.

was this tank already set up? most people like a 4 inch sand bed, i would check your Local Home Depot, but i came up empty handed after a month of searching, but now would be the perfect time to look. I hear a lot of people like Oceanic, but i used instant ocean, an no problems yet, though i am still in my cycle. From info i gathered Salifert and Seachem make the best test kits. Then couple of powerheads, and prob 2 heaters. HTH GOOD LUCK

A new plastic tub to mix salt water for water changes.
I like using a gravel vacuum and hose to transfer water.
Deep pockets!!!! LOL

Don't forget a water source. For a 150, an RO or RO/DI system will be best in the long run. And how about a light to check out the live rock at night, espescially any LR.com pieces you may add? Have fun.

I was researching SW for awhile. I may or may not get a SW tank, but here's what I remember having on my list. Like OneBowl says, RO or RO/DI water is very good to have, and your salt mix adds all the necessary minerals back in. Do a search here for salt mixes or salt brands. There are many different brands out there, and many people who like each one. Some salts are for fish only, and some have some more added minerals/nutrients for corals. Maybe you should stay with the brand that the previous owner used, and switch gradually -- like 10% water change with the new salt per week. I remember seeing lots of posts about how people change over their salt brand too.

Also, like ESJ4 said, get a new plastic tub or garbage can to mix the salt water in. SW must age and be well mixed before a water change. No just pouring right from faucet to tank like in FW! Just rinse the can/tub with a hose and don't wash it (I know you know that :) ) Also, a powerhead and heater to go in the tub/can to circulate and heat the water, to prepare for a water change, would be good to think about. A submersible pump to go in the tub/can to pump the water up to your tank would make water changes easy. I've seen pumps and tubing at DrsFosterSmith here. Some units have a pump and powehead function in one unit. So you can mix/age/heat/circulate the water in the tub, and then pump it right up to the tank for a water change.

Yes! A water pump would makes things easier. How long do I need to age the water? Over night, a few hours?

Well, I have only read about this :wink:

In the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist", Robert Fenner recommends at least 24 hours and preferably for a week. The salt must be well-dissolved and the proper temperature must be reached to do an accurate measurement of the specific gravity. If the SG is too low, add some salt to your tub; if it's too high, add some water and mix again. Never add the salt right to the tank to try to adjust the SG. Also, don't fill your tub all the way up in case you have to add some more water.

I have read on here that some people like to have water mixed at all times, so that it is well-aged, and just in case an emergency water change is needed, there will be some water ready. Also, when you're done with the water change, you could mix some up for the next week.

Another book I like is "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta.

oh wow. The guy I am getting the tank from has a girl that comes in once a week and does pwcs. He showed me the container they use, and it was empty. So I am assuming that they just mixed the water and the salt and dumped it in.

In the book "The New Marine Aquarium", there is a chart of the 10 common set-up mistakes. No. 2 is "Using synthetic saltwater too soon after it is mixed". I think it burns the fish's gills.

So just get a routine going -- get your tub or garbage can, heater, powerhead or powerhead/pump, tubing, salt mix and hydrometer. Set this all up so it's ready for a water change. After the water change, get ready for the next change -- mix your water and salt so it has a week to age.

congrats

post pics once set up... how did you get your lfs to come set up? are you doing most of ur purchases @ their store? Im in the hunt for 55gal sw fish only, and want my lfs to come set up..but already have my supplies thru other venues.

thanks

are you buying any live rock from, liverock.com?

tn

The tank is ten years old, and it has some lr in it, I don't know exactly how much, I will definitely post pics when its up in the house. As for my lfs, they also do maintenance, and moving is part of it I guess. Its 60$ an hour plus milage. We are figuring around 300$ for their help. Which is great because the tank is free. We were going to try and move the thing ourselves, but because of my husbands work schedule, its impossible to coordinate with other people.
only 5 more days :multi:

$300?? so they are breaking down ur old tank and seting up the new one?

i was thinking i go ahead and have tank and stand and all other stuff in the room..and buy ls and premixed ro sw from them and they help me get it up and running to cycle.

keep me posted with pictures. thanks

tennessee

Back
Top Bottom