Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

preparations-Lots of questions...sorry

YEA!! I get my first 150 gallon SW tank in exactly one week! The lfs guys are going to move it and set it up. I want to make sure I am prepared when it gets here, so can you help me put together a shopping list? I am excluding filtration and lights and stuff for now because it comes with.

I know I need salt. Table salt will work right? Just kidding.
What brand is most recommended?
I am pretty sure we are keeping the sand that is in there, but it doesn't seem to me like there was much in the tank so I wanted to get more. Any preferred kind or brand? And should I get the crushed coral? Can I mix sand and coral?
I know I need a hydrometer and algae scraper. Test kits... what am I missing? The guy feeds his fish tablets and some other dry food. Maybe my fish are spoiled but they get 99% frozen and once in a great while do they get flakes. I would like to implement this change with his fish. Do I need to do this gradually?

Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, agronite sand works well if you can find it. Also known as tropical play sand. Check your local Home Depot. I use Instant Ocean salt and love it but lots of people swear by Oceanic. I wouldn't bother with the crushed coral. Mixing it only last for a while. Eventually all the crushed coral will work it's way to the surface. Also, crushed coral tends to hold onto food and stuff which can cause your nitrates to be high. I'm drawing a blank on what else since this is already an established system. I'll post again as I think of stuff.

Also, some additions are gonna depend on your plans for the tank. I'm so excited for you. Whoohoo!!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!! Me too WOOHOO
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Re: preparations-Lots of questions...sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
I am pretty sure we are keeping the sand that is in there, but it doesn't seem to me like there was much in the tank so I wanted to get more.
was this tank already set up? most people like a 4 inch sand bed, i would check your Local Home Depot, but i came up empty handed after a month of searching, but now would be the perfect time to look. I hear a lot of people like Oceanic, but i used instant ocean, an no problems yet, though i am still in my cycle. From info i gathered Salifert and Seachem make the best test kits. Then couple of powerheads, and prob 2 heaters. HTH GOOD LUCK

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

A new plastic tub to mix salt water for water changes.
I like using a gravel vacuum and hose to transfer water.
Deep pockets!!!! LOL
Old 04-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't forget a water source. For a 150, an RO or RO/DI system will be best in the long run. And how about a light to check out the live rock at night, espescially any LR.com pieces you may add? Have fun.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

All good ideas! thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I was researching SW for awhile. I may or may not get a SW tank, but here's what I remember having on my list. Like OneBowl says, RO or RO/DI water is very good to have, and your salt mix adds all the necessary minerals back in. Do a search here for salt mixes or salt brands. There are many different brands out there, and many people who like each one. Some salts are for fish only, and some have some more added minerals/nutrients for corals. Maybe you should stay with the brand that the previous owner used, and switch gradually -- like 10% water change with the new salt per week. I remember seeing lots of posts about how people change over their salt brand too.

Also, like ESJ4 said, get a new plastic tub or garbage can to mix the salt water in. SW must age and be well mixed before a water change. No just pouring right from faucet to tank like in FW! Just rinse the can/tub with a hose and don't wash it (I know you know that ) Also, a powerhead and heater to go in the tub/can to circulate and heat the water, to prepare for a water change, would be good to think about. A submersible pump to go in the tub/can to pump the water up to your tank would make water changes easy. I've seen pumps and tubing at DrsFosterSmith here. Some units have a pump and powehead function in one unit. So you can mix/age/heat/circulate the water in the tub, and then pump it right up to the tank for a water change.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes! A water pump would makes things easier. How long do I need to age the water? Over night, a few hours?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I have only read about this

In the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist", Robert Fenner recommends at least 24 hours and preferably for a week. The salt must be well-dissolved and the proper temperature must be reached to do an accurate measurement of the specific gravity. If the SG is too low, add some salt to your tub; if it's too high, add some water and mix again. Never add the salt right to the tank to try to adjust the SG. Also, don't fill your tub all the way up in case you have to add some more water.

I have read on here that some people like to have water mixed at all times, so that it is well-aged, and just in case an emergency water change is needed, there will be some water ready. Also, when you're done with the water change, you could mix some up for the next week.

Another book I like is "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com