Preparing Christmas Gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fromaphrodite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I really want to buy the family a saltwater aquarium this Christmas. It will give us all something to enjoy and take pride in. I have been researching for the last few months on all the different options available. Been to about ten fish stores, a hundred or more website (im sure!)... and still cant seem to find a complete and honest answer to the question "What do I need?"

This is what I want:
A 33 gal tank
Fish only with a couple invertebrates

This is what I am considering:
33 gal tank
filter
protein Skimmer
2 Clown Fish
2 Damsels
crushed Coral
not sure what to add for inverts yet

I am mainly looking to start with the basics and then slowly add to it.

Please help :)

Thanks in advance

-RoquetSynce

Fish only with a couple invertebrates is a good easy basic setup... If i was you i would look into buying some liverock that will help your tank, what type of protien skimmer are you looking at?? The damsels are very easy fish to take care of they may pick on your clowns a little so keep a close eye. You do realize however you must cycle the tank before you add the fish. As for inverts you have many options alot you can do there.... good luck take your time

If I was you I would go with live sand and live rock. Both would be benifical to your tank. Dont forget to cycle your tank fishless. And maybe you might want to get something else instead of damsels as they will get mean later on.Good Luck

like melosu said go with lr and ls. Only get live sand if its not that in the bag stuff, it's almost wothless and expensive compared to most other sands.
Also crushed coral is not advised either.

Honestly I would wait, research a lot more, asks a lot more questions, and figure out EXACTLY what equipment you basicly need and what types.

For filtration you could get off with a simple HOB power filter, or if you have a little extra money og for a canister like afluval.

I would recommend putting damsels with clownfish. They don't really like eachother from my experience and will pick on most other things contrary to what a lot of people say, ha yeah totally non- agressive to inverts my butt.... In smaller tanks theres the agression issue so it'll be worse than in a bigger tank.

This is exactly what we did last year at this time. Our lives were changed forever and we are addicted. One thing I will tell you is the people here know so much more and will be way more honest than you are likely to find in your local fish store, unless you happen to find a really good one. Read as many of the posts here as you have time in your day. Ask all your questions here like what brand names to buy for equipment, lighting and even test kits, etc. You will find you will probably get much better deals on the internet than you will at the store. Although it is very difficult to do, be really patient and don't buy everything at once.

Where will you be getting your salt water? Will you mix it yourself?
Will you buy live rock? You may be turned off by the price in the beginning but it is SO worth it. It's not just for decoration. Price it out on the internet before buying local. Even with shipping it may be a better deal on the net. Also, adding it later is not easy to do.
How will you cycle your tank? The fish store may tell you to do it with damsels or buying some chemicals to do it, but that really doesn't work out. Your best bet is to hold off on any fish and do it with a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store.

I'd stay away from damsels. They won't get along with other fish you might want to add (including clowns) and I heard they are near impossible to catch and remove from your tank later.

Let us know if you decide to go for it.

DJ

Hey,

You know what, I got my frist SW tank 3 years ago this week. The people where moving to canada. got a 29 G with Live rock 2 damsel and Ocelleris for $150. the best xmas present i ever will get it started my Carer choice of a Marine bio.

Back
Top Bottom