Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you will need a lot more live rock. 50 pounds or so. i would try to put it all in at one time.
no, bristle worms aren't green. they are more flesh tone or pink.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I put in a teaspoon of goldfish flakes, I read that they will work for breaking down into ammonia, and I have a couple bottles and no more goldfish. Anybody know how long it will take for the flakes to break down?

I would like to add 50 pounds of live rock all at one time, however I've spent nearly $1,000 dollars on this tank over the last 3 weeks or so, so I'm trying not to test the wife too much. My local fish shop that sells live rock told me that a lot of their clients slowly purchase their live rock, a few pieces every week, I have no idea if that is bad, they did not think so.

It turns out the little green "worm" is not alive, I'm not sure what it is, it was just swaying in the current.

How many watts of light should I have on a 55 gallon FOWLR tank? Right now I'm just using my little 15W T8 light from my 10 gallon, it seems to light up the whole tank just fine. I do want to buy a 48" fixture, just not sure which one yet.

jphendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're able to get the rock now it will keep you from having to cure it in a separate tank later on. Look online, I bought base rock (which will become live) from Marco Rock, the prices I found to be pretty good.

Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I really like the Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock as it doesn't need to be cured and is Pacific rock (Fiji) which is more porous than carribean rock.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
The local shop where I bought my rock sells Fiji live rock, he cures the rock for 4 or 8 weeks (I can't remember) before he sells it. So the rock I bought is already cured before it went in my tank.

jphendren is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com