Preparing water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard more than once on this site that saltwater should be mixed and prepared 24 hours before being poured into the tank, heated, and aerated with a powerhead.

I am curious though...I intend to do either weekly or 3 times a month 10-gallon water changes on my 46-gallon. That means 2 5-gallon buckets. Do I really need to have 2 powerheads and 2 heaters for no other purpose than water changes?

Could I try this instead? Mix the 2 buckets of saltwater, heat 1 bucket and aerate for 12 hours, then switch it over to other bucket for 12 hours? At this point, you'd think both buckets would be properly mixed and aerated. As far as the heat, one bucket would be the perfect temperature, and the worst the other bucket would have done is fall a few degrees to room temperature. 5 gallons at a few degrees lower wouldn't even cause a 1/2 degree fluctuation in the aquarium. I just have a hard time justifying spending $60 just to prepare water changes! :)

Paul

Cause I can't lift that! :)

I suppose you mean pour from the 15 gallon into the 5-gallon buckets and then into the aquarium? I guess that would work...lots of water transferring! Leave it to me to overcomplicate everything...:)

Paul

Buy a piece of plastic hose that will pressure fit into your PH outlet and let the PH do the work for you. I have the ultimate WC setup so we can figure something out for you.

I use a Brute 32g trash can and wheels that you can buy with it. I can fill it to the top and am able to move it with ease! Then again I am 6'1" 230lbs. ;)

I use a 30gal rubbermaid tote and mix right next to my tank. I then use a Mag Drive 7 pump to mive the water from the tote to the tank. Easy as pie...hmmm...pie.

All right! I have made my foray into the world of intelligent water changes!

I purchased an 18-gallon Rubbermaid tote (with wheels!) at Walmart today for under $10. Now I can easily do water changes of 15 gallons, mix it up, use a powerhead and heater to heat and aerate it for 24 hours, and then use a powerhead to pump it into the aquarium. Thank goodness for this forum, this idea alone will save me tons of mixing and lugging, not to mention the slow pour I used to have to do to avoid disturbing my sand.

What powerhead would you recommend for this job? And what other equipment (i.e. tubing) will I need? I was thinking a Maxi-Jet 600 or 900. Any more help would be appreciated! :)

What pump would you recommend for water changes using this method?

I was thinking a Maxi-Jet 600 or 900...this would both be good to circulate the water change water, aerate, mix, and then pump it in. Would either of these work? Which would be best?

Paul

I use a crappy penguin 660 PH with a piece of vinyl tubing that I got from Home Depot. I just took a look at it for size. It's 3/4" (outside diameter) 5/8" (inside diameter) and I just forced it over the output from the penguin. Have been meaning to attach it more permanently, but haven't gotten around to it so far.

Well, I just have to say.......

I've been on this site for awhile (close to a year or more probably) , now, and I swear I learn something new every day!

I bought three powerheads and three thermometers and mix 15 gals in 3 5 gallon buckets.....what a mess!

My next purchase will be a 15gal tub with wheels and some vinyl tubing!

I want to get the wheeled tub:( But my house=tiny and i don't have a lot of room to store this stuff. It's basically goign to have to sit in a corner in the living room:(

Back
Top Bottom