Preping For Coral & Water Changes w/Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm trying to plan for some coral and have been reading up on calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, kalk etc... I understand what corals do with these, how they bond and such. What I was wondering or should I say, thinking was, if I do a drip or a dosing pumps etc, eventually the tank will get to the levels I need because there isn't any coral using these minerals. I would assume anyway...

I'm wondering how you get the tank up to the levels you need and how you maintain them with water changes. Do you have to dose the water when mixing and have all the same levels in there as well? DO these minerals effect this fish? I think I'm more concerned at how to get these levels up to snuff without harming them.

Suggestions or examples of what you did to get started?

I was watching one of the BRS videos earlier and the guy was saying that low demand tanks will probably be fine with PWC using reef salt mix. If that's the case, then I'm fine "getting started" and can start dosing when I get a decent amount of coral in place and start seeing levels drop a bit I guess? I probably answered all my own questions but I'm just double checking :D

reef crystals will hold you over for a long time. you're only going to need to start dosing when you fill your tank with LPS & SPS. but you wont be putting that many frags in at once anyways so you're good for 6 months lol

Don't mean to hijack thread but if you start your tank with regular Instant Ocean is there any issues in changing to Reef Crystals? I wouldn't think there would be just was going to ask this is something I need to do myself going from FOWLR to Reef.

I don't think so. The reef crystals just have the extra minerals in it. You wouldn't want to do a complete water change and switch over to the new stuff probably, but as you start doing your PWC everything will adjust gradually. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone :)

Yea that was my plan next time I buy salt i'll get crystals and just start doing WCs with it.

no i've recently made the switch. the difference isn't that drastic. my PH & alk are pretty much on par just my calc & mag went up a little but not too much to notice. my Acans and trumpet are growing like weeds now :)

edit: I did make the switch through PWC, not a full blown change.

Back
Top Bottom