Prepping wc water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i put a half a cup per gallon of instant ocean salt . Doesn't seem like its going to be enough wondering if anyone knows how much per gallon it should take

Ok next question how long does it take until I get a correct reading? It's in a big bucket with an air stone

I dont know if there is a certain time but you should make sure all the salt is dissolved before testing most people will mix and aerate it 24 hours prior to the wc

Ok sounds good I'm eventually going to buy the salt water but Im trying u use what I have left here from when u set the tank up

How are you testing? If your using a swing arm hydrometer you'll need to heat the water to the same as the tank. A refractometer is a better way to go.

As for how long it will take it depends on the circulation. IMO I would give at least a hour. And 24 hours before using it. Although a air stone may not be enough circulation you may want to use a power head or at least give it a good couple of stirs to get it mixed.

If salinity is way off just keep adjusting your dosage over a few trial and errors. Rather than filling the whole bucket at once, just try like a half gallon of fresh and add measured salt until it is perfect. Then just increase dosage proportionately to the amount of water used.

I don't mix my own water. I get 10 free gallons of SW each time I spend 10 dollars at my LFS <3. And besides, a RO/DI unit isn't really worth it when working with a 24 gallon tank.

10 free gallons of saltwater every time you spend $10??? :eek:

I wouldn't mix my own either. How do they stay profitable?

Well it's 10 gallons tops per trip. But I suppose I could abuse the system and buy 10 dollars of random things every day and get my 10 free gallons of water. They make a lot of money though...It's "yourreef" and they ship nationwide so I guess they just want loyal local customers.

Back
Top Bottom