Pretty New too saltwater..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyFreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently aquired a Red Sea Max 130D from my Uncle for FREE! Pretty sweet huh? I had a basic tank setup so I have 2 blue damsels (have been together for a LONG time and get along fairly well) that i introduced into the new tank.

So, my question is, what fish would u reccomend? Im interested in wrasses and Gobies, also Longnose Hawkfish?
I want interesting fish but i understand i problably need mostly basic fish like Chromis.
I plan to slowly introduce corals after a few months.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429733650.443747.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429733615.493766.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

aww ill see how that goes?
How about the longnose hawkfish? could i keep multiple firefish? Reccomended 1st corals?(prefer ones that will reproduce and spread rapidly)
Eel?
Shrimp?
Snails?
Starfish?
Anenome?

I am assuming the tank is running with all parameters set. If you want corals, stay away fron eel, anemone, and some starfish. If fish only, then could almost almost have anything u want, except comparable issue.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you add the damsels last they might not be aggressive with new stock. False percula clownfish maybe?

Clown fish are also damsels. You can keep damsels but they can be bullies when ever you had a new fish, remove the damsels an redo a bit of rock work, so their territory is broken up. Don't do anything like fire fish it any other fish that is prone to jumping out of stress. You need fish with q bit of attitude to keep with them. Ilike damsels an was considering one for my tank but instead I got a 6 line wrasse.

You start adding coral, make sure your light is up to it. Also start out with a fairly easy coral such as a pulsing xena, mushrooms, or a green star polyp so you can get into the swing of things with the coral

I am assuming the tank is running with all parameters set. If you want corals, stay away fron eel, anemone, and some starfish. If fish only, then could almost almost have anything u want, except comparable issue.

yes, all parameters set but will be awhile till I add anything do to money, haha
what starfish would be most beneficial to the tank?

If you add the damsels last they might not be aggressive with new stock. False percula clownfish maybe?

i think i might take them out and add more rocks and introduce them last.. and i dont think i wanna clownfish, too unoriginal;)

Clown fish are also damsels. You can keep damsels but they can be bullies when ever you had a new fish, remove the damsels an redo a bit of rock work, so their territory is broken up. Don't do anything like fire fish it any other fish that is prone to jumping out of stress. You need fish with q bit of attitude to keep with them. Ilike damsels an was considering one for my tank but instead I got a 6 line wrasse.

You start adding coral, make sure your light is up to it. Also start out with a fairly easy coral such as a pulsing xena, mushrooms, or a green star polyp so you can get into the swing of things with the coral

Do you think the damsels would be ok as long as i keep a little bit larger or active fish?
what corals will reproduce and cover my tank faster?

Damsels don't care how big the fish are, they are just plain old mean and love their territory.
Corals that grow like weeds:
Green Star Polyps
Xenia
Kenya Tree
Colt Coral
Palys

I would wait until your tank is up and running like at least 6 months for it to mature a bit then consider starfish.

Then research starfish throughly, some like chocolate chip starship are not the best for reefs. I think serpent stars could work or a sand shifter if you have a deep sand bed

Sand sifters always starve to death. Serpents and brittle stars are the best stars under normal situations. Most other reef safe stars are fromia's, which have a high mortality rate in the home aquarium.

Then research starfish throughly, some like chocolate chip starship are not the best for reefs. I think serpent stars could work or a sand shifter if you have a deep sand bed

its only about a 2in bed

Sand sifters always starve to death. Serpents and brittle stars are the best stars under normal situations. Most other reef safe stars are fromia's, which have a high mortality rate in the home aquarium.

so if i get a few brittle stars would it help the tank? or better off withouth them?

Back
Top Bottom